News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: my 14 year old son

nikko - Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:17 am

Hello,
My 14 year old son has been having chest pains for about 3 weeks. All medical test are neg. He began having pains up his back that feels like electric shock as he explains. We went back to the ER. All test still normal. They advised us to seek physcological help because they feel he has conversion disorder. He is in a day program to work on this. I do see when he gets upset that his pain intensifies, but I also see when he is watching tv or playing on the computer he still has them. He has been in the program for 2 weeks and every time he sees the doctor he comes home wanting to go on Prozac. My son says he ask the doctor how can he cope with the pain, and the doctor has said deep breathing is the best thing to try to over come the pain, or If you want I can put you on Prozac, just talk to you parents. I understand my son wants the pain to go away, but to tell a 14 year if you want I can put you on Prozac with out the doctor talking to the parents first is a little alarming to me.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:18 am

User avatar Hi nikko,
Sometimes chest pain may occur as a result of anxiety attacks. I would suggest inquiring/researching some relaxation techniques to see if this has any affect on his symptoms prior to opting for a medication regimen. There are multiple warnings about using certain medications in children. Again, I would suggest the use of the other techniques first.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here