News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Evidence for effectiveness of brain entrainment techniques

clarence - Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:09 am

Is there any evidence about the effectiveness of brain entrainment? :) I have downloaded a program titled "Brainwave Generator" which generates binaural beat frequencies. It claims to "... stimulate your brain to make yourself relaxed, help in meditation or self-hypnosis, enhance learning capabilities, induce sleep, help focusing attention, and so on." It claims to entrain your brain state from one state (e.g. alpha, beta) to another using binaural beats. I listened to the Schumann Resonance, thought to be used for meditation because it gets you in sync with the "Earth's magnetic field", for 15 mins. and it only gave me a headache. :(

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Clarence
 sdfirenze - Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 pm

How does this program operate? Does it play on your computer? Is it auditory and/or visual?

While I am certainly not an expert on the subject, I do study in the general field of psychology and have not heard of this specific technique. However, if it is giving you a headache, I would suggest you stop using it!! There are many different ways we can "relax" our minds. Traditional meditation has probably been shown to be the most effective. I would also suggest looking into a type of meditation called "mindfulness." It originates from eastern-philosophy, but is currently being used in combination with western techniques such as cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Some other areas to look into would include general relaxation training techniques such as deep-muscle relaxation and so forth.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here