Question: Smoking and Anxiety: PLEASE HELP.

btebski - Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:24 am

I would really appreciate a reply, as this problem is driving me crazy.

Over the past few years I have suffered multiple tragic events involving the loss of loved ones, and a very quick deterioration of my family.

The following problem has really hampered my ability to deal with things.

I am currently studying abroad in a country with very poor health facilities, and generally very unprofessional doctors (One Pulmonary doctor I saw chain smoked throughout my entire consultation).

I have been smoking for about 2 years, and about 4 months ago, i began to feel very short of breath, nauseous, and felt a pressure and itchiness on my chest, as well as a feeling that my lungs were decreased in capacity.

Another very noticeable symptom was that the lymph nodes (?) under the sides of my jaw, just under the ears, would swell up and become uncomfortable.

I have stopped smoking for the last 2 1/2 months, and the above symptoms have remained in varying degrees of severity. I have experimented smoking once or twice since then, and this greatly exacerbates the problem. Drinking alcohol, eating chocolate, and peanuts, also seem to make the problem worse.

I have taken several courses of antibiotics leading to no improvement.

I have had chest Xrays, Blood tests, an ECG, a lung function tests, all performed with no abnormalities found.

The only abnormality found was a swelling around my stomach. (I have also been experiencing a frequent upset stomach for a while, with occasional episodes of diahorrea) I was proscribed antacids and Mosapride Citrate. I have been taking these for a week with no improvement in relation to my shortness of breathe and other symptoms.

This could all be very well be related to anxiety, however, the swelling under my neck does concern me.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, as this is really taking its toll on me both physically and emotionally.
 carolannah - Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:49 am

Hello btebski,

Sorry to hear of your family losses and tragic events. Life can sometimes toss rocks our way faster than we can dodge them and subsequently we can easily become less able to cope. It seems you have several issues going on at this time.

Try to address your physical health concerns first to eliminate any additional stress (worry) and then spend some time processing your grief. This may go a long way towards relieving some of your anxiety.

I understand health care can be a very big issue, especially when out of your own country, and some medical doctors can appear to be less than they should be, but this does not always mean they are not able to help you.

My best to you,

carolannah

|