Question: What can I do about my increasing sensitivity to racism?

gp120 - Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:53 pm

Hello I'm an asian male who was raised in the midwest during the '70s. My family was bent on assimilation and raised us speaking only English and teaching us nothing of our cultural heritage. There is no history of depression, schizophrenia or significant mental illness in our family. Everyone in my family including my wife has either an MD or PhD.

For the last several months I have been increasingly sensitive to incidents (some real, some undoubtedly perceived) of racism and have been experiencing more frequent moments of rage and thoughts of violence. The onset of this syndrome coincided with my move from the New England area to Philadelphia.

I do not "blame" my race on my situation which is quite comfortable (I am wealthy, have a wonderful wife and child); however, I perceive that most strangers who see me feel they can abuse me simply because they believe I am a passive asian.

I am now getting into near daily confrontation with people and have adopted a policy of showing that I can be just as rude and physically aggressive as anyone else.

I fear this cannot end well. Is anyone familiar with what I am experiencing?

How can I find a specialist who can help me?

Rhonda P, CEP - Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:58 am

User avatar Dear Gp120,

A psychologist would be a good person to talk to about rage, aggression and your feeling of pinned up violence. You don’t have to have any mental problems or history, just talk about dealing with the personalities of the local people and how to deal with them or whatever you need. It can be refreshing.

When we are angry it causes us to see signs of aggression in others which makes us think we have more enemies than we really do.

Thinking we have so many enemies causes us to put up a protective “shield” which is built with anger and aggression, our weapons of choice – rudeness, violence & disrespect. This isn’t how we want to be, everyone (most people) would like to be relaxed and rested when possible, not feeling like you’re in a mental battle every time someone confronts you.
.

|