News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: How to help a hypochondriac?

tkokerr - Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:36 am

Hi, I believe my husband might be a hypochondriac and was looking for suggestions to help him work through it so that he is not as effected by it. When he gets stressed out he starts manifesting symptoms such as a "flutter" in the general location of his stomach. His grandmother was a nurse for over 30 years and his dad's life revolves around his own health. My husband is constantly worried about his health even though he is a 27 year-old male in the military in great physical shape! Any time someone starts talking about any health problems that they have, he is quick to point out any related symptoms of that health problem that is also experiencing, even when these symptoms can easily be explained by other things. I am worried about how this will effect our daughter as she grows up, as it is obvious that this is something that he picked up from his medically-oriented/ obsessed family. He went to counseling specifically for this reason (I asked him to go) but his therapist did not really address this issue and constantly tried to focus on other issues (she had her own agenda.) He is now going to school full time and working full time and does not really have time to start therapy again. Can anyone offer any suggestions for helping to minimize his anxiety over his health and the effects that this disorder might have on our family? Right now I just try to talk him through it and explain or dismiss his symptoms with possible mundane causes then steer the conversation away from health issues. He realizes that this is a problem, and tries not to talk about his health as much, but I know that this doesn't really help because he is still worried about it. Thanks in advance!
 butters123 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:23 pm

you know the way you describe you hubby describes me. Let me know if you find out anything because Im sick of worrying. Someone please answer this one!!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here