Question: eating problem

Andowen - Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:17 am

i think i may have a problem, i cant help myself, everytime i eat something (which is about once a day) i throw it up. i just hate the feeling of there being anything in my tummy. and i hate myself everytime i eat. just feel like i am getting fatter and fatter. is there something wrong with me?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:33 am

User avatar This is bulimia. It is a very dangerous condition that can lead to lifelong health problems and in severe cases, death.

You need to tell someone right away, a parent, or someone you can trust, and talk to a psychiatrist to begin therapy right away.

Good luck, please update me on your condition.
 Andowen - Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:33 am

but thats the thing, i don't want to tell anyone because they will put me on some sort of happy pill and pat me on the head and tell me i am a good girl. then the happy pill will make me eat and all that and i will just get fat...
 lifeisloud - Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:00 pm

it's the condition making you feel that way

my good friend has it, and until someone convinced her to just tell her parent or she would get ill, she said exactly the same thing as you

evntually she did tell her mum, and now she's fine
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:09 pm

User avatar You will not get fat. You will get healthy.

Medical complications from bulimia

Erosion of tooth enamel because of repeated exposure to acidic gastric contents.
Dental cavities, sensitivity to hot or cold food.
Swelling and soreness in the salivary glands (from repeated vomiting).
Stomach Ulcers.
Ruptures of the stomach and esophagus.
Abnormal buildup of fluid in the intestines.
Disruption in the normal bowel release function.
Electrolyte imbalance.
Dehydration
Irregular heartbeat and in severe cases heart attack
A greater risk for suicidal behavior
Decrease in libido

10% of individuals suffering from bulimia will die from either starvation, cardiac arrest, other medical complications, or suicide.

This is very serious. If it is not treated, you could become very ill, and you could have complications for the rest of your life.

They will not put you on a pill to make you eat. They will show you that you are not fat, but the eating disorder is making you think you are fat, and they will show you how to eat healthy.
It is very important that you get help for this.
 Andowen - Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:14 am

i understand what you are saying, but i have worked so hard to get down to the weight i am. i have struggled with being 67kg for ages, and now i am down to 58kg, i am starting to be happy. the trouble with my family goes by the pound, and i do not want to end up like my mother.

thankyou both so much for your advice, it is very helpful. i will go see my doctor about an eating plan or something. but i sure as hell wont take any pills or be eating anymore than 1 meal a day.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:28 am

User avatar May I ask how tall you are?
One meal a day is not sufficient nutrition for you body.
You can lose weight and still be healthy by eating small, nutritious meals and by exercising.
By starving yourself, and throwing up the food, you may get thin, but you will also feel sick all the time, your hair will fall out, you may get acne, feel cold all the time...it is not a fun thing.
If you talk to your doctor about your concerns he can help you work out a diet and exercise program that is healthy, and will help you lose weight, if you need to.

Please keep me updated,and good luck
 Andowen - Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:55 am

i am about 175cm....

i picked up the phone to call the doc today but i just couldnt do it. i'll do it next week or something... why do you want to know how tall i am?
 angelkt - Wed May 02, 2007 2:11 pm

she is asking how tall you are because your height and weight determine what your bmi is...i hope you have gone to the doctors-it took me a long time to do it too-and just so you know you don't have to gpo on anti depressants if thats what you meant-i have not been on them and I have anorexia and also ourge like you-they can offer other ways of helping you.
 PrivateSmythe - Wed May 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Bullimia is nothing to take lightly. I will say that right now. I have a friend that is/was bullimic - and I have seen what terrible things it can do. She spent over 3 weeks in the hospital because of malnutrition and it was terrible for her. PLEASE..PLEASE go see a doctor and figure out how to get better. Start exercising. You can look great and be healthy eating 3 meals a day and doing something like jogging! Remember - BELIEVE IN YOURSELF - YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO OVERCOME THIS!

|