News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Twitches affecting my whole life - Tourette's Syndrome?

lifeisloud - Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm

hi, I am 16 years old and have had twtiches and ticks for many years now they have ranged from constant fidgeting of shoulders for no real reason; a short Cough, at the back of the throat; constant heavy eye blinking, as if I had something in my eye; nose twitching; makeing short "hmm" noises whilst trying to ge to sleep and other facial twitches most dissapear or lessen alot, but the blinking and throat noises a still happening.
with the twitches I can feel and urge to do whatever it is, and I can try to stop myself from doing it..but eventually I have to, and it feels better after I have, but then it starts again. and so on

I also feel the need to make things symmetrical. this is a mild feeling, but (for example) only today I was puting a book on a shelf and there was a candle snuffer on the shelf. I felt the need to put in in the middle, but because of its shape it obviously isnt symmetrical when on the shelf, I felt annoyed by this and tried several ways to amend it

I also have the same sort of "urge" when (again, for example) I will scratch my arm, but then feel the need to scratch the other arm so it feels the same. its the same with stubbing my toe, my knee etc touching a table leg..all that sort of thing

and i find myself repeaingt words or sentances over and over in my head, without noticing, or count every step wen i walk and cant stop...or read the same line continuously

I know it isnt sleep releted as I get a decent amount of sleep, with a good sleeping pattern

as I say its happend for years, but as I get older and it still hasnt gone I really want to resolve me problem

[b]I know there's alot there, but if anyone could please help give me some idea of why I do this it would be very much appriciated!![/b]

much thanks X
 Andowen - Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:49 pm

i do the same thing, well not excactly the same thing. but i count my steps. and everything has to be in line. i just hate it when someone just throws something onto the bench. i would spend all day fixing it if i had to. i'll go outside for a smoke and be out there for 5 minutes shifting chairs and stuff that the dog has moved (she is a big dog and pushes the chairs when she jumps on them) before i even light up.
 Starla87 - Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 am

Hello Andowen and lifeisloud.
I am not a doctor but I work in the healthcare field. I would suggest you do a little research on OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
...... and talk to your family Dr.

Take care.
 syedhussain - Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 am

Dear MS.lifeisloud:You have described the symptoms precisely and coherently. Multiple Tics at your age along with the urge to carry out certain acts in specific manner are amenable to treatment provided you get a professional help from a Psychiatrist or Neurlogist. There are multiple causes of these symptoms. They need expert professional help, some investigations, and, earlier you seek Psychiatric/Neurological help the better would be outcome. Methods are available to take care of this morbid process. Thank you.
regards,
SH.
 DoctorJohn - Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:05 am

Dear Lifeisloud,

It sounds to me that you are suffering from Tourette's Syndrome. There is a lot about this on the internet and I suggest that you do a Google search. You will then see how much help is also available.

Best wishes,

DJ

p.s. Life is also light, so never despair!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here