Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor Xr, Xanax, and Alcohol

fmgf - Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:21 pm

I am a 22 year old female with depression. I am taking effexor xr 150 mgs per day. Two nights ago I stole a bottle of xanax (.25mgs) from my mom and took all 20 tablets. I had also taken double the dose of effexor xr (300 mgs) that day. Then I proceeded to drink a lot of alcohol (9 drinks maybe?).

I phoned a psychiatric hospital but hung up and decided that it would be best to drive myself. I was too drugged to find it and started passing out. Somehow (I don't remember any of this) I wound up back in the garage and passed out in my car (it's only about 5 degrees F here). My mom found me and I went down to my room where I again passed out for about 34 hours.

This is the second time I've attempted suicide. The problem is, somehow I lost my bottle of effexor and it is nowhere to be found. I'm scared of withdrawals. I have not been honest with my doctor about my suicidal thoughts. Should I make an appointment to get a refil of effexor? I don't want to gain weight from drugs. I still want to die. I feel so out of it.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 am

User avatar Hi Fmgf,
Sure sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders right now. The dose of Effexor may need to be adjusted. Or perhaps the doctor might want to switch you to something else that would be more effective at helping you feel better. Instead of just refilling the Effexor, I would make an appointment ASAP. Please tell him all that you have told us here.

You are very fortunate to still be alive.

Do you have someone you can call the next time you feel like taking your life? Someone to talk to? A close friend, family member? No matter how bad today seems, you never know what tomorrow may bring.

MaryAnn RN

fmgf wrote:I am a 22 year old female with depression. I am taking effexor xr 150 mgs per day. Two nights ago I stole a bottle of xanax (.25mgs) from my mom and took all 20 tablets. I had also taken double the dose of effexor xr (300 mgs) that day. Then I proceeded to drink a lot of alcohol (9 drinks maybe?).

|