News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Taking Zoloft

Michaela521 - Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 pm

Hello I have somebody who is taking zoloft at 50 mgs per day in caplet form. He would like to start taking the 100 mgs capsules because they are cheaper. Any good ways to dilute/take 50mgs per day with a 100 mg CAPSULE. thanks. :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 am

User avatar Hi Michaela521,
Capsules are different from scored tablets and should not be broken open nor diluted because actual dosage would not be determined. Zoloft preparations also include an oral suspension which your friend may find more cost effective.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:23 am

User avatar Dear Michaela521

I agree that you should not try to open the capsules as this may change the efficacy of the drug it self.

In the USA, Pfizer, the company that makes Zoloft, makes it in both tablets and oral suspension dosage forms, however, i have seen some pharmacies which are located out side the USA and some on line pharmacies that carry zoloft capsules.

In fact i have spoken with a medical consultant from one of those pharmacies, and he informed me that capsules should never be opened.

Just take it as advised by your doctor
and i wish you the best

thank you very much

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here