Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor, withdrawal after short term use?

bob634 - Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:24 am

Hi folks,
My history: At the advice of my therapist I started taking effexor about three weeks ago. At the same time I started the meds I also resolved a huge issue in my life. I believe my "depression" was situational and might not have needed the Effexor.

After reading about the withdrawal issues, and dealing with significant side effects (nausea, be tired all the time, terrible impact on sexual functioning, dry mouth, rubber legs, etc) I've decided to discontinue the meds.

I had started at 37.5 for four days, upped it to 75 (which, after a couple of days, the point I started feeling terrible).

My plan (which I started today) is to go back to the 37.5 for about 4 days and then discontinue altogether.

My question: Since I have been taking a fairly small dose for such a short period of time, am I unlikely to experience the withdrawal?

And..Does anyone else have any suggestions given this time/dosage combination?

For those of you that have struggled with this, you have my sympathy and best wishes.

For those that haven't started taking effexor, do your homework first!

Thanks in advance.

Bob
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm

User avatar Dear bob634

i respect your decision, and i believe since you have not been taking effexor for a long time, my expectation, that if you were to have any withdrawal symptoms, it will be mild.

i attribute this to the fact that your body has not built enough concentration of the drug to creat a lot of side effects. in general in takes 4-6 weeks.

so the way you are tapering down the dose is acceptable too.

good luck and i wish you all the best.

thank you .
 bob634 - Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 pm

Dr. Fardoun,

Thanks much for the quick response.

Bob

|