Question: help!!i cant stop

oncforever - Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 am

i cant seem to quit cutting. i have been a cutter for a year and a half now i have tried to quit but it was only because my friends told me i had to. my parents did catch me and i saw a counsler like 5 times i took meds for 4 years and all they did was numb the pain they never helped. part of me is afraid to quit i don't really want to i guess. i have been hurting myself for my whole life and i don't know what to do without it i really don't know what to do anymore i am only 17 and i don't think i can take it anymore
 MaryAnn N, RN - Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:10 am

User avatar Hi onecforever,

Cutting can be very bad in answer to the poll above. Unintentionally cutters have gone too far and have done permenant bodily damage to themselves. You can accidentally damage a nerve causing a permenant disability or if you hit a major vessel, end up bleeding to death.

If you would like to quit cutting you need to find out why you do it. Is it because you hurt so bad inside, that when you are cutting you temporarily feel better?

Cutters need therapy in addition to taking medication. Medication can and does work for some cutters, but finding out why you need to cut and solving any underlying problems is what actually stops the cutting.

To find out more about self injury try this web site: http://www.selfinjury.com/

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Please get the help you desprately need before it is too late.

MaryAnnRN
 Andowen - Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:59 am

i don't really know how to answer your poll. i also SI, i stopped for about 6 months last year. but this year i have just gone down and have been cutting non-stop. i am covered in cuts and scars. i found that talking to someone who cuts is so much easier than talking to random people. with councelling, you have to build up a trust before you can open up. but i felt that i could open up to people in the same boat. if you ever feel like talking just PM me.
 dixiemom8203 - Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:06 am

My sister is 20 now and before she had her baby (this past Nov) and even while she was prego she was a cutting her arms and legs. She too has scars and what not all over. I finally talked to her about it and told her that if I caught her cutting again I'd kick her butt (being I'm the big sis and we went through some rough stuff growing up, I practically raised her), anyways, she started doing it again while she was pregnant with the baby and I told her that she had so much to give in her life, people that loved her and a baby on the way and she had to be strong for that baby. Well the baby's 4 months old now and my sis is doing fine...she's got an *^&hole for a fiance but at least she's not cutting.

To you two girls...just remember that there are always people out there that are worse off than you...Don't put yourself down because of past experience or even current ones, you are stronger than that and I'm sure you already know that someday you'll have children and would be scared for them if they did the same thing you are doing now. Think positively and if you ever want to chat...my yahoo id is dixiemom8203.
 dnflgmn - Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:26 pm

I think the most effective way (maybe the only way) to stop cutting is to want to and to decide yourself. I used to cut a lot when I was about 14 and had a very difficult time stopping. I was in a severe amount of psychological/emotional pain. I never saw a therapist/psychiatrist or got medication, and I don't think my parents ever found out. I think I was sort of obsessed with being miserable. Eventually I sort of hit rock bottom and decided that I didn't want to be sad anymore. I stopped doing it as a frequent habit right then (about halfway through my freshman year of high school). (Also, I want to say that I think it helped a lot when a friend I told a friend of mine and she let me know that she was upset not because I was cutting so much but because I was that upset, which meant a lot to me and was very different from the response of the other two friends of mine who had found out- which was basically just getting made at me, making me feel like something was wrong with me, and sort of disowning me). It was very long hard struggle to stop and required a lot of self-reflection and self-control over thoughts and things, willpower, and avoiding things which I found to be triggers to negative thoughts for myself (sad/angry music, certain types of social situations, extremely violent/depressing/scary movies, certain kinds of thoughts, etc.). Eventually I cut myself less and less. I found that if I told myself "I will never, ever cut myself again", when I did do it again I got even more upset and dramatic and feeling like something was wrong with me, so I would recommend not using that type of thought and instead changing it to "I never want to cut myself again" or "I hope I never cut myself again", which are things I say to myself even now, and I have not cut myself in over a year (I'm 18 now). I think you stopping cutting and working on making yourself feel better have to go together/simultaneously as an ongoing process. Now most of the time I can't even imagine feeling like I would want to cut myself. If you feel happy and good, and love yourself, you won't want to cut yourself. I'm not a doctor, this is just my own experience, and I don't even really understand cutting or what was going on with me that well myself, so you have to do whatever is right for you, but I hope this helps. Good luck!

|