Question: Fear oF swallowing?

mrnobody - Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:36 pm

1. 20
2. Male
3. haven't been to the doctor
4. nope

b] I think I have phagophobia, after I dropped out of college, I got real depressed and I guess suppressed phobia came back. when I was young, I choked on my food in a crowded resturant in front of my dad and he cursed me out, and my heart was racing and my mom help me and told my dad to stop that. but my dad kept saying "your not going anywhere with me, where all going home now"[/b]

Most recently I find myself dreading every meal, unless its real liquid like...soups, cereals, soggy veggy meals I can handle...but lately any Dry food meals like Hamburgers, chicken, etc etc.....I have a hard time swallowing it....for the past two weeks....I drink soda or water with every bite of my dry food to get it down, but that aggrevates my stomach so sometimes it makes me sick and vomit....it bothers the hell of out of me, because I lost alot of my friends because of it, I try to avoid going places because if I'm out with my friends they're going to say "man lets go get some mcdonalds, burger king, etc.." ..and I can't eat it.....a couple months of ago this was only a problem when I was outside in public eating now its whenever I eat period indoor and outdoor....I don't know rather to keep forcing food in me, buy some Ensure protein shakes....I look real skinny now, I hate being skinny...I've been skinny all my life so this is real frustrating. I don't want people to think I'm a guy with an eating disorder? ....because I googled eating disorders and it says "most men with eating disorders are homosexual?" ....that really made me depressed, because I just got out of a year relationship with this girl from my college and now I'm like "I can't be gay?" ....im just depressed about the entire situation

Would Anti-depressants make this Anxiety/phobia WORSE?

Or should i go to the doctor..could it be a physical throat problem?

my parents are gonna hate me tho
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:02 pm

User avatar Im so sorry that you are going through this.

First of all, don't worry about being homosexual just because you think you have an eating disorder. That is just not true. A lot of guys have eating disorders that are straight. If you feel that you are straight, having an eating disorder will not make you gay.

First you need to seed a doctor to rule out any problems with your throat.
Then if that is ruled out as a problem, you should make an appointment with a psyciatrist to find out the root of them problem and solve it. I feel that this problem is a mental thing more than a psyical thing.
I don't think it is so much of an eating disorder, because you want to eat, and do not want to be skinny, but feel you can't eat due to a fear of choking.

Maybe try eating soft foods at first, then slowly add more solid foods in. Chew very slowly, carefully, and when you feel the food is chewed up enough, swallow it. As you begin eating more foods with no problems swallowing it, you will feel more comfortable and confident that you will not choke.
Start eating more solid foods at home, where you are comfortable, and later on, after you have re gained confidence, you can then begin to eat out more often.
Have a large glass of water near you so that if you feel you are getting food stuck, you can have a drink.

Good luck

|