Question: Stress and menstruation

vicki4884 - Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:20 pm

Hi, i have not had my period for six weeks, it is usually every five weeks, i have not had sex and i am worried that something might be wrong with me, i also have really bad headaches and insomnia. i am a student and i am quite stressed about my upcoming exams, and the worry about this is making me even more stressed!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:02 pm

User avatar Dear Vicki,

It is not uncommon for menses to be off without an underlying problem.

It is also not uncommon that high degree stress like the one that you are having regarding your exams will cause menses to be delayed. Reason being that menses are regulated by hormones that originate from brain centers and if there is high degree of stress, the brain sometimes will interpret this as not a good time for pregnancy and the hormones responsible for menses will not be excreted and hence no menses.

|