Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: effexor and alcohol...

peeps - Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:56 am

My husband, 37 takes approx. 150 mg of effexor everyday.. I think that he may need to "up" his prescription b/c he is constantly worrying and losses his temper often..he has now started to drink scotch on a regular basis up to one bottle a day in some cases. He turns into someone I don't know. I am concerned that he is going to hurt me or himself. Is there anything I can tell him about mixing scotch (which I know he needs to stop drinking) with his effexor? I am looking for an article or study that details what happens to a person that mixes these two drugs. He is like Jekyll and Hyde and I don't know where to start. He is now threatening to divorce me and nothing is getting better.Any help is very much appreciated
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:21 pm

User avatar Dear peeps

If you go to this web link: Click here! which has the FDA pdf file for effexor, and all information regarding the drug, you will find that effexor and alcohol do not interact. effexor does not increase the impairement of mental and motor skills caused by alcohol. however, generally speaking, doctors always advise patients to not drink alcohol while on any antidepressants.

In your husband's case, psychotherapy and emotional support might help in this case, because as i said, there is no documented interaction between effexor and alcohol.

Try to encourage him to abstain drinking as much as you can.

Thank you very much, and my best wishes to you both.
 DeLWolcott - Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:44 am

To clarify, the Effexor prescribing information indicates that one dose of alcohol did not appear to interact with the medication. One bottle of Scotch would definitely exceed that statement.

This needs to be discussed with the prescribing physician. Some AD's create an urge for alcohol in some patients, aversions to others. AD's and alcohol both compromise the liver and this definitely has to be addressed before permanent damage appears or is worsened.

Good luck to both of you!

|