Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lexapro and Calcium Oxalate Stones

Jon1234 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 am

I have just been prescribed Lexapro 10mg for some situational depression. No other meds. I'm a healthy 31 male, but have a Hx of calcium oxalate kidney stones. Given that Lexapro is escitalopram oxalate, is there an increased risk for developing more stones. Primary care doc. hasn't answered this question and a Medline lit. search hasn't revealed anything.
Jon
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 am

User avatar Dear jon1234

the fact that lexapro is mainly and extensively metabolized in the liver, the amount of the drug excreted unchanged in the urine is very minimal. Therefore, I do not think the drug will cause major problems in your case.

Like you said , your concern has not been desribed in literature. However, if you take a look at the FDA website ( for lexapro), and mainly at the side effects, there is a section of premarketing side effects of lexapro, right at the end, with respect to Urinary System Disorders -
Frequent: urinary frequency, urinary tract infection.
Infrequent:urinary urgency, kidney stone, dysuria, blood in urine.

Like i said, this small section appeared toward the end, it is was very rarely seen, and infrequent.

attached is the web address for your reference, the information i have told you is described at the bottom of page 23 of 28) on that PDF FILE.

thank you very much and have a great day

web site address and pdf file of lexapro at FDA SITE

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2003/ ... 20lexapro'

|