News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Please Help!! Severe Mental Illness Hurting Family

Quillary - Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:43 pm

If anyone has experienced this PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am extremely concerned about my sister. She is 35 and completely dilusional. She is a compulsive liar and has extreme mood swings lasting sometimes for days. She has bad hygene, continues to make bad decisions about abusive men and money, and sometimes has child like fits and thoughts. She is very paranoid, can't get out of bed, stays up all night, barely holds a job and the list goes on. She will not accept that she needs help. She lies about every single aspect of her life and then accually believes that the lies are reality. She has been like this for a long time, but always managed some how. It is getting worse and I know I can't commit her, but what can I do? She is so dilusional that she can't have a normal conversation and does not think that there is anything wrong with her. She is a terrible burden to me and I am at a loss. I do not have money to give either. I worry about her, but I don't know what to do. She will be homeless with in the next 1-2 years for sure. I really need to know what to do!!!! Please, if anyone knows what she may have and how to help, I will be forever in debt. Also if anyone has had a family member with mental illness; how do you cope and what advice might you have? Thank you.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:02 am

User avatar Hello, Im very sorry for what you are going through.

Unfortunatly, there isnt much help you can offer your sister if she is not willing to seek treatment and help herself.

If she is a threat to herself or others in anyway, you can have her committed for a 72 hour hold in a psych ward for evaluation.During that time a doctor will evaluate her and can recommend further treatment, however, you sister still needs to be willing to help herself in order for any treatment to be sucessful.

All you can do is be there for her when she finally is ready to accept help and support.
 Quillary - Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Gracie01,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have begun to come to terms with the fact that there may not be any way for me to help my sister at this time. I will keep supporting her and give her lots of love.

Thank you again and God Bless,

Quillary
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:33 am

User avatar It can be very very hard for the families of people with mental illness. Often the person with the illness does not realize how much there behavior affects the other family members.

I wish you the best, and I am here to support you in any way possible.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here