Question: anxiety and dreams?

lauren1824 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:21 pm

i want to make this simple and clear as possible.
-age 19
-female
-past: severe depression, social phobia dis, gen. anxiety dis.
-no surgeries
-family history: severe depression, anxiety, Schitzophrenia
-currently taking no medications

i would like to know if my problem is easy enough to fix in simple steps, or would it be appropiate to see a doctor.

For the past 8 months my sleeping habits have changed drasitcally. I just moved to a new state, and started a new life.
At nights it sometimes took me a while to get to sleep, because there were so many unfixed/undone things i had to do running through my head. It has gotten progressively worse, with myself not wanting to fall asleep because i know what i'm going to enter.
For the past 2 months,not once have I gotten a decent nights sleep. I get vivid dreams everytime. Always dreams of death, my husband, war, and events back home. When I awake, I feel overwhelmed, stressed, and anxious.
These types of dreams mostly consist of:
Death- getting shot, stabbed, tortured

Husband- cold, distant, intercourse with other women, hateful, and loss of love for me.

War- well, it's war. fighting to get away from something, fighting to get out, to escape.

Back in home town- anxiety and stress associated with myself trying to get back to my current home, but never suceeding.

This may all sound silly and not too bad, but it's now interferring with my daily life. I am developing a fear of going to sleep because I don't want to experience the dreams.
Basically I think my anxeity in my waking life, is pouring over into my sleep and its becoming very unbearable.

If anyone can help me, please do... or if anyone needs anymore information please email me.
I would like to have a general idea of what this is before i make an appointment for a doctor.
Thank You.
 sdfirenze - Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Lauren,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing these problems. It certainly does sound like a big deal. The short answer to your question: It does sound like this is something more serious than a couple simple steps can take care of.

When you mention a doctor's appointment, I hope that is with a psychotherapist. It sounds like you've had a long history of difficulties. Nightmares, insomnia, and anxiety are all symptoms people commonly experience after a trauma or series of traumatic events (PTSD, complex-PTSD). I would strongly recommend scheduling an apppointment with a mental health specialist to see if that helps.

There are some sleep medications that supposedly limit the number/ intensity of dream activity. It may be worth scheduling an apointment with a general practitioner in addition.

Good luck and I hope you can get some sleep soon!

|