News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Need of a better Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) medication

beer_with_a_straw - Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:08 am

I am a 22 year old female, and I have had ADD for as long as I can remember. only 2 years ago I started taking medication for it. I started taking Dexedrine, and It did totally change my life (for the better) I do get side effects from the med:
- constant blinking
- i chew the inside of my lips and
have funny facial twitches
- I have lost 95% of my sex drive
- trouble sleeping (sometime)

If someone can give me some suggestions on another ADD medication , That works the same but without side effects, I would really appreciate it!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:48 pm

User avatar beer_in_a_straw:

The most effective medicines for ADD are the stimulants, of which one is dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine). Others are the methylphenidate versions (various types of Ritalin). The side effects that you described are common for all stimulant medications.

There are alternatives, though. A fairly new medicine is called atomoxetine (Strattera is the brand name), and some people find it quite satisfactory. Another medicine sometimes used for ADD is bupropion (Wellbutrin), an antidepressant. Sometimes it is used to "help" another medicine work more effectively, and sometimes it is used alone.

Many other medicines have been used, but have fallen out of favor because they are so toxic.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here