News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: nervous breakdown???

Toy - Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:44 am

Hello, I'm a 37 year old female. I have had some problems with depression in the past mostly related to different tramatic events in my life. Over the last few months I have been somewhat depressed but it has gotten significantly worse. This week my husband and I were told that he has severe heart problems and he is at a great risk of sudden cardiac death.
I love my husband dearly and this has "sent me over the edge." I can not stop crying. I'm to the point that I feel almost numb. If I had the guts I know I would kill myself but I'm to big of a chicken. I've already buried one man that I was in love with. I can never survive that pain again. I feel terribly selfish and I don't want to be. I wish I were strong and had the ability to take care of my husband the way I should but it seems as if my mind is just shutting down. I can't control my feelings at all.
I know that there are people in this world who have suffered much worse things than I ever have but I feel that I've had more than my share of tragedies. I just can't deal with one more.
My husband is angry that I can't stop crying but I can't control it. I don't want to cause him any undue stress. I honestly just want my life to end. I'm tired and I feel that everything inside of me is gone.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:32 am

User avatar Hi Toy,
I would strongly suggest that you seek the services of a qualified counselor as well as an evaluation by your physician. As for your husbands heart problems, you must keep in mind, there have been many advances in treating heart conditions. Please do not take this the wrong way. All of us will pass at some point. While it may seem unfair that some do not live as long as others, suffer certain tragedies, due to illness, conditions, or circumstances, I truly believe that there are reasons for all, many of which we don't understand. I also believe that life should be a celebration, and attention should be focused on living, not focused on death. None of us know when our lives will end, today, tomorrow, from something totally unexpected......Negativity breeds negative atmospheres, why waste your energy on the negative outlook when you can be positive and live your life to the fullest? I truly hope this has been somewhat helpful, and best wishes to you both.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here