Question: Lost interest in small talk is this a sign of depression?

marleymum - Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:56 am

hi im 32 and female
ive not had any mental health problems in the passed other than postnatal depression after my second child (undiagnosed by GP)
although after feeling depressed at that time i realised that i had suffered depression as a child.
ive currently got an 8 month baby and don't feel depressed at all but problerly stressed.
my problem is hard to explain i feel like there is no point in having a conversation with people that normal talking is pointless and i find listening to other people talking frustrating. i don't know why i feel like this. it has been going on for a few months. i also feel that there is no point visiting family and friends although i do make the effort but when i get there i just want to leave. am i going mad!!!!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:22 am

User avatar Hi marleymum,
Postpartum depression, also known as "baby blues" is a type of depression which may last a few days to few weeks after delivery. Signs and symptoms of this type of depression are typically, crying (over seemingly insignificant incidents), sadness, irritability, etc. This is not abnormal and is experienced by many women and is essentially due to the sudden drop in hormones along with all of the factors that having a new baby involves. Postpartum depression that lasts more than a short time (a few weeks) is a more intense form of depression that produces symptoms much like mentioned above but also may include more severe mood swings, sleeping disorders, withdrawal from family and friends, etc. I would first suggest that you have an evaluation by your physician to identify if a for example, a hormone imbalance is present, and if your physical exam identifies no abnormalities I would strongly suggest that you seek the services of a mental health professional. Best wishes.
 tcirn - Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Dear Marleymum,

I know how you are feeling, I, myself, have a 7 month old baby and I am very tired, stressed, irritable, I find it hard to concentrate on certain tasks. I have my good days and bad... Somedays I am a busy-bee and get lots done, and other days I find myself just wanting to cuddle with my baby and do nothing. My husband says I'm very irritable somedays, and that I tend to bite his head off over nothing. I am getting ready to start a new job (part-time) and I'm very worried about leaving my daughter, yet my mother keeps her or my husband. It's just the fact that I don't want to be away. I seem "blue" or sad somedays. And my husband states that I have no interest in him, he is right I don't want bothered I just want to care for my daughter and sleep... (other then what absolutely has to be done). Some days I think I'm going mad as well. I don't want company somedays, other days I don't want to go anywhere, and when we go I don't want to stay long. I find conversation boring, and lose interest quickly. This is my first child and I have not felt like this except for the last 4-5 months. I'm wondering if this is Post-partum or just depression. I'm a on the go person, until my daughter was born, then I stayed home with her full-time, I feel like I'm going "stir-crazy" I'm hoping that going back to work will help or make it worse being away for the baby.

|