News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: what wrong?why do i faint

SANAM - Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:46 pm

I faint at the sight of blood and this has been happening since last 6 years. I don't faint completely at the sight but i lose control over my body, even if it is just a finger cut. I can not even take care of my own finger cut because if there is any blood i cant look at it or ill sort of faint.
But i don't understand this because when i get my period, i do feel dizzy if i stare at my blood (which i avoid doing) but i don't faint like other times.

Do i need to seek help? is it normal? everyone else in my family and friends don't have this problem.

Please provide some info on this topic. Thankx

sex:female
current medication: none
any history: none
family history: cancer
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:12 am

User avatar Hi SANAM,
Fainting at the sight of blood, or for any other of the numerous distressing situations experienced by some people is actually more common than you have the impression. The nervous system (specifically the autonomic nervous system) reacts or is triggered causing certain changes in body functions which lead to fainting. Best wishes and don't be overly concerned.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here