Question: Is something seriously wrong???

Gezz - Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:33 pm

Is something wrong with me...can you help? Here's the deal. I've noticed that lately I have not been feelign myself at all. At times I feel lightheaded and even weak, like everythign around me is at a faster pace and I am in my own little world. It scares me and I tend to feel like I am going to pass out. Recently this overhwleming feeling came about at work and I got so nervous I was going to pass out I didn't know whether to run for the bathroom or stay still. My hands got clammy, my head light yet with pressure, my fingers and arms numb and my heart began racing fast. I sat still and slowly breathed, yet felt as if my throat was closing in on me. It eventually went away with time. Reflecting on this feeling I realized that this was not my first episode. In the past (yrs ago) I passed out a few times. I was taken to the hospital about 15 years ago for a CAT scan and everything was fine. She suggested I have panic attacks from stress. Its sporadic and it just happens, any time any day, but lately more often than so. I went to my GYN about two months ago and everything was fine, except my blood pressure was high and she was concerned. She told me to quit smoking (which I have been doing for about 8 years now) and put me on a lighter Ortho Tri and suggested I see my PCP. Later I recieved my STD test results and everything was fine. About a month after that I became sick 1 nite with a 101 fever, sore throat, constantly sneezing. The fever was gone the next day but the throart, sneezing wasn't. I thought it was allergies in the spring season and finally made that app. for my PCP. I told him of my bloodpressure and he said it was high, told me to try to regulate my stress and exercise regularly, eat healthy and loose weight ( I am about 35 lbs over weight) he performed a blood, urin analysis and I was told it was all fine. the "cold" was an URI and bronchitis. I was put on a liquid med and pills and told to come back in about 2 weeks. I went back and the meds worked for my sneezing, but I am still ocassionally coughing and spitting up clear and chunky phlem. He did another urin anal b/c there was a very smal trace of blood in my urin from the previous test. He said this could have been b/c I took the test near the tiome of my menstrual cycle. I explained I was still feeling lightheaded and tired and my ears popped at time. He said it probably elevated to a head cold and suggested I take Zotex and again relax. My bp that time was high, but not as high as last time. The urin test came back fine a week later. However, I still have not been feelign well. I have not been coughing as much, but my throat feels clogged and I am always thirsty. I still become lightheaded and I've noticed my finger tips at times tingly or even numb, leaving my arm to feel like it is sleeping for a few seconds. For the past few days I have been urinating more frequently than usual and also "going" to the bathroom more than norm for me. My stools aren't diaretic, but not solid either, and dark. Today my lower stomach hurts and I feel like there is pressure on my bladder. I am peeing so much that (I think) my vagina is irrated from all the wiping and my anus hurts as well. At times it feels like I have to go to the bathroom but I can't I just sit there. I don;t know if this frequency of going to bathroom is because I have been trying to eat healthy, drin kign more water and cut down on smnoking or what but its annoying. I I also began having a burning feeling at times in my chest area and even a sort of shooting pain in my left and right chest area which lasts very briefly. I was told by my father it is indigestion? I also have noticed that my finger nails feel frailer than usual and have developed small white lines on them, but not on all. My mom said this is a calsium deficiency and I should take vitamins, which I don't. A few of the nails even appear discolered, tinted a pinkish orange at the tip area. My mom said this is from me always wearing pink and re dnailpolishes and never letting my nails "breathe". I don't know if this is a bunch of different small ailments or nothing to worry about at all. But I can't stand this overhwleming feeling and if it is something I can control, I will do whatever I can to stop it...please help!! I hate going to the doctors and this is my first chance to get all my health concerns out and hopefully someone will have a solution to ease my mind.
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:13 pm

User avatar Hi!

When you said that you 'hate going to the doctors,' I sure hope it's the 'going' that you hate and not the 'doctors.' Because there's a bunch of them on this website trying to help others, and I also don't think that it would bother them too even if.

Coming to your problems, the picture you give me in fact defines panic attacks. Would it be possible for you to post all your investigation results? Have you had your blood glucose, thyroid function, or blood calcium studied? What keeps you from taking some multivitamins per your mom's advice?

bill
 Gezz - Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:09 am

Thank you for responding so soon!!!
It's definetly not the doctors I hate...it's the going part, knowing something may be wrong and fear of the results. I try to go, only when I feel that my body can't naturally fight of the sickness, if i think it's serious or when it impedes my daily tasks...Lately it's been more ongoing, but according to my docs, It's nothing too serious...which stil freaks me out!
I requested a copy of my last urin analysis and it says:
Negative for glucose, protein, nilirubin, ketones, occult blood, nitrite, leukocyte esterase.
Teh color is yellow, appearance clear, specific gravity 1.015, Ph 6.0, WBC none seen, RBC 0-5, Squamous epithelial cells 0-5, bacteria none seen and hyaline cast none seen.
I don't know what half of those meant and my doctor didn't tell me, I just got a card in the mail saying my urin analysis was normal and had to call them and request a copy. It seems like everyhting is in the "normal" range according to the paper.
Am I supposed to request thyroid check and glucose, etc, or is that all included in the urin analysis and blood test? If info from the last blood and urin analysis would be more helpful too I can call and request a copy as well...let me know whatever you need and I'll be glad to do it...
As for the multivitamin, I just never got into the habit of taking one, I always did when I was younger but while away at college I stopped, for no reason. I just was busy runnign around with classes or my jobs and whatnot and forgot. I shoudl take a daily supplement huh!? Guess the adage "mom knows best" is true in this case.
If I do have panic attacks, what can I do to make them go away?
I truly appreciate your help.....
Thank you so much!!! :)
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:38 am

User avatar Hi!

Your blood test results may show if they have tested your glucose/thyroid. Suggested reading on what to do when one has panic attacks follows:

Click here!

Hope this helps.

bill

|