Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor

companion - Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:03 pm

I have been on effexor ever since my daughter died nearly ten years ago. I take 75mg and have never experienced any side effects and it has helped with anxiety problems I have experience most of my life. I have forgotton to take it and experienced the shocks that have been described by other undergoing withdrawl but I think the benefits (for me at least) outwiegh the downsides.

I have three questions

1. Is there any evidence (other than withdrawl) that illustrates clear derogatory effects of long term use,

2. Is there any documented evidence that Cannabis (very light) / effexor combination is dangerous (because I get very positive benefit) and lastly,

3. in regard to sexual dysfunction (still Ok to a degree but lessoning with age 49) is there a similar medication that I could switch to with identical benefits without this side effect.

I would appreciate input those who have been on this drug for a longer period and if there is a doc or two out there with advice it would be well received - thanks for taking the time to read this.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:41 am

User avatar companion:

First of all, I'm so sorry about your daughter.

For your first question, the answer is no, IF it is taken as prescribed and there are no potential drug-drug interactions between the Effexor and another medicine you may be taking. There is a small chance of someone experiencing elevated blood pressure, but that almost always happens when the drug is first started, and its occurrence is usually precipitated by much higher doses than 75 mg/day.

Next question: the answer is no, but only because it hasn't been studied. There really is no way to reliably conduct such a study without administering cannabis, which of course, we are not allowed to do.

Last question: the answer is no, because the way the medicine is able to give you beneficial effects causes the sexual side effects. The side effects are inherent in any medication that acts in a similar manner, with the medicines available to us today.
 companion - Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:25 am

Thank you PsyDoc – and thank you forgiving up you time to answer seemingly stupid questions. Altruism is not dead
 companion - Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:36 am

|