Question: Personality disorder at age 15?

colby - Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:11 am

I'm a 15 year old male student attending high school. I'm kind of concerned about my thoughts and feelings. I failed 8th grade because a lack of staying awake. I don't want to fail 9th grade but whenever i get bad grades on tests or quizes or report cards i feel as if i wont get into a good college and my life is going no where, this just suddenly brings on thoughts of killing myself and ending my life so i don't grow up to become a nobody w/ no education or profession. I want more then a high school degree and want to move on to college but idk if i have the strength inside of me to make it that far. I know you must be thinking why don't you just pay attention and study, but its alot harder then it sounds. I'am easily distracted and bored 10 minutes into class. I always try to get on the right path and do my homework and study but after acouple of days im way off that road and im leading somewhere i don't wana be. Maybe an hour after that class the thoughts of suicide are gone but.... is that normal?

...thanks for you r opinions

P.S. could you possibly include if you are a licensed doctor or not.

aim = colbyhewitt

if you wana talk and possibly help me out.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:19 am

User avatar Colby:

I am a licensed physician.

These thoughts are most decidedly NOT normal. You must immediately tell your parents about them, or alternatively, you must go to an emergency room immediately.

Thoughts of suicide are nothing to fool around with. This is extremely dangerous.

The thing is that the problems you describe which make you feel suicidal are not at all unusual for people such as yourself. It's normal to be worried about grades, career, finances, etc. Why would you want to kill yourself now, before you've even had a chance to fulfill those dreams?

SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM.!!!!!
 colby - Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm wondering if all of this may just be in my head? Right now i don't feel like harming myself or anything like that. I't seems too only happen when i get a bad test grade or report card grade... Do i over react to things excessivly? If so, is there a name or anything for that?

Also some days i won't care about doing work or anything like that as if i don't realise how much it is going to effect me later on. But some days i feel like i must do it and i really have to so i may succeed in life. Am i bipolar or anything like that?
 colby - Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:35 pm

results...

Paranoid ................................. High
Schitzoid ................................ Very High
Schitzotypal ........................... Very High
Antisocial ............................... Moderate
Borderline .............................. Very High
Histrionic ................................ Low
Narcissistic ............................ Moderate
Avoidant ................................ High
Dependent ............................. High
Obcessive-Compulsive ......... Moderate
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:47 pm

User avatar Colby:

Good to see you back in the forum. I'm so relieved to hear that you are feeling better today.

I don't know the source of the test you took, so I can't really comment on it, except to say that this is obviously a screening exam, not a diagnostic tool, for personality disorders. At the age of 15, it is NOT possible to diagnose a personality disorder, because the personality has not fully developed. That is most likely why the results make you look very sick.

I don't think this is all in your head. I can't diagnose you without seeing you face-to-face, but if I had to guess, based on what you've written, I'd be inclined to think you might have ADD or ADHD (ADD = attention deficit disorder, ADHD = attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

Now, I am serious about you talking to parents about this, and I am serious and strongly recommend that you see a psychiatrist. ADD and ADHD are easily treated with medication and some behavioral techniques. Research does show that medication for ADD and ADHD is very effective and prevents many problems, short-term and long-term.

I hope this helped. Please keep in touch!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:51 pm

User avatar Colby:

One other thing--is this all in your head? Of course it is!! We are talking about central nervous system disorder, which means the brain and spinal cord. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with your spinal cord, so that leaves just one possibility--the brain, which is located in your head.

I am only being just a little facetious. I get tired of people saying "it's all in your head, just get over it!!" Well, of course it is in your head, but that doesn't mean you can just get over it. It is real, and it is a big problem.

Hope to see you back in the forum soon.
 kazza26 - Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:48 am

hi am not sure if am allowed to reply to posts as am not qualified as any type of doctor or nurse but i came across this and saw that you have gotten some kinda diagnosis from an internet psychiatric test,i think i know which one you did as i did that same test a few years back when i was 23,well me and a few mates did it for a laugh we did the test 2 times using the same answers and both times we got different results so i wouldnt rely on that if i was you.

|