Question: I purge and binge more than 5 times each day for 6 years

kimberlyy - Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:34 pm

I am a student in university from Hong Kong I am 19......I don't even know am I posting in a right group here cuz my english is not good....please help me...I am bulimic for 6 years since 13.....I purge and binge >5 times each day for 6 years...currently I am worrying about that is these acts in this 6 years would make me have some serious disease eg. lung cancer....stomac caner...whtever...and i use the method of intestinal lavage to release pressure sometimes too but I stop that now cuz it is danger...here I would really wants any doctors to tell me the answer...are the ways I live in this 6 years will make me have cancer or some sickness cant be cure? I am just afraid and don't even brave enough to go for a body check....

btw i have bipolar disorder too I depends on some medicines gave by doctors to sleep, but I never talk about my bulimic cuz I don't wanna talk about it....I just need the medicine from him cuz i cant sleep most of the time....I would like to try to control my eating habits by myself now...I don't sure if i can...workloads from school still heavy and that makes me cant sleep and eat normally...I usually binge when I finished a piece of classwork or leaving school..wtever

I don't wanna live like this anymore I think that God is going to punish me by taking away my life becoz i don't harm my body by myself....am I gonna die?
 nimbeh - Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Relax! No, God is not punishing you and your English is wonderful. Do you think you may be punishing yourself instead? For what? Is your life very stressful? Are you parents extremely demanding or almost abusive? What is your bipolar diagnosis? How bad is it? I wouldn't continue throwing up your food like that. It would be a very painful death that you don't want to experience. Think of your family and your friends and yourself and God. They need you. I need you. The whole world needs you, okay? Here's what you do. Go see another doctor and tell him everything right up front and at first about your bulimia and bipolar so you won't feel uncomfortable. Understand? Get a second opinion about your bipolar. You could be misdiagnosed and you could be reacting horribly to the medicine. How's your diet? Eat fresh foods that are minimally cooked and don't throw them up! I care about you. Let me know how you are doing, okay? I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. Bye! And just relax! Nothing is worth bad health or your life. I promise. You have a whole life ahead of you and right now doesn't matter. It can and will get better but it's up to you. You may only be going thru a bad time in your life. We all have. It will only get better. I promise. So let me know how you are from time to time. I'll be waiting!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:36 pm

User avatar kimberleyy:

You can't change what has happened before, right? So there is no need to punish yourself. Bulimia is a serious disorder and you need to get help.

Bulimia can be fatal. Death can occur by many mechanisms, but the worst, most painful, and most disturbing to witness, is hemorrhage. This occurs when the esophagus finally becomes stressed from all the induced vomiting. It becomes thin and fragile. One day, you purge as usual, and your esophagus ruptures. There is a very rich blood supply to the esophagus, so death can occur very quickly.

Another very dangerous thing could be going on as well--the medications your doctor has prescribed for you could cause a problem for you simply because of the bulimia. Because of the electrolyte disturbances created by induced vomiting, you are more likely to have seizures. Some of the psych meds also make it more likely for you to have seizures.

There are cancers that can occur due to years of induced vomiting. Stomach cancers and esophageal cancers can and do occur with time. You need to stop vomiting and get a physical examination. Tell the doctor EVERYTHING!!!

Please call your doctor at your very first opportunity!!!! This is nothing to mess around with.

Please come back and let us know how you are.

|