News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: self harm using anti depressants

rina - Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 pm

What would happen if a person took 5 or 8 anti-depressants a day or may be every wednesday?

Anti-depressants that could be used to do this

velafaxine(75 mg)
velafaxine (150mg)
anit-depressant not sure which one (50mg)
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:55 pm

User avatar Rina:

Every day, or maybe every Wednesday? I'm not sure what you're getting at with this question.

A 75 mg venlafaxine with a 150 mg venlafaxine is 225 mg total, which is the recommended maximum dose of this medication. It isn't unusual for a physician to prescribe more than one type of antidepressant, depending on the patient's history.

The number of pills isn't so important as is the total number of milligrams they add up to. For example, if my patient needs to take 225 mg of venlafaxine every day and I've decided to give them samples of venlafaxine, I may only have the 37.5 mg strength available. In that case, my patient would have to take six of them to have the full dose, which is an appropriate dose of this particular medicine.

On the other hand, if your concern is about five or eight different brands of antidepressants being taken simultaneously, I would say that it is a problem and whoever it is doing this needs to see a doctor immediately.

If you are unable to get this person to go voluntarily to the emergency department, you can always call 911.
 rina - Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:18 pm

I'm concerned because I think someone I know might take 8 tablets of velafaxine(75mg) daily. Or 8 tablets of velafaxine150mg daily,

What harm is done by taking 600mg of velafaxine a day
Or 1200mg of velafaxine a day

Seems like this person doesn't like cutting, but self harms by mini overdoses.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:24 pm

User avatar Rina:

I see... Well, 600 mg of venlafaxine daily is not unheard of, but very strange. A daily dose of 1200 mg of venlafaxine daily is probably not healthy. Venlafaxine is generally thought to be nonlethal in overdose ar larger doses than these, however. The greatest health risk with that kind of dose of venlafaxine is seizure, which can definitely have very serious consequences.

I'd say that your friend needs help. Unless this person has signed a release of information to allow her physician to talk to you, I'm afraid that making a call to that prescriber will not be helpful. You could always try, though.

Alternatively, you could tell people who are close to her, if you feel safe doing so and confident that you are correct.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here