Question: Crying spells and feeling hopeless

ga478 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:13 am

Latley I have been feeling really down about things,feeling like life is hopeless, feeling like there is no point to living because i will never amount to anything. I have been crying alot latley. I have a problem with looking things up on the Internet and thinking that I have all of the symptoms I worry myself to death about everything. I looked up Sczophrenia and now I think that I have the illness because I have these unwanted thoughts havent heard any voices other than my own,sometimes I think that people are talking about me but it's not alll the time,I think that I see things but there not there but most of the time they are. The thing that really scares me the most is that I have this confusing feeling alot like I feel that I don't know whats going on or I don't know what to say, this really scares me because this feeling has been going on for about a 2 years now off and on but it has gotten a little bit worse. Sometimes I feel really scared about things i have anxiety about walking in front of large crowds of people. I have so many more symptoms but these are a few I'am scared that I have schzophrenia I really don't want that Illness, could ypu please tell me what you think is wrong with me. could I be depressed because I have these crying spells alot.
 Marceline F, RN - Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:34 am

User avatar Dear ga478,
I can sense your distress, and hope I may be able to relieve it somewhat, if only by caring that you are hurting. You did not mention how old you are or if you have any medical conditions at this time.
There are so many things that can contribute to your feeligs of helplessness and hopelessness. Please answer this post with additional information regarding you and your history. I have many ideas in mind, and would be happy to share them, but it would be very helpful to have additional information about you. How old are you? Do you have any medical conditions? Are you particularly stressed lately? By what? Every age has unique challenges that can contribute to dismay.
I would also like to express to you that mental illness is not a crime, it is an illness. Just as if you stub your toe and all of a sudden you are not in perfect health, so also, being a bit " too happy" or suddenly "too sad" indicates you are not in a state of perfect mental health. I will be bold enough to suggest that there are more undiagnosed people with a form or other of mental illness side by side with us everyday, than will ever be a statistic in any medical journal. If the way we behave amuses another, they leave us alone. When the way be behave invades another's comfort zone, then we will be committed. We are not always encouraged to discuss our feelings - whether it be depression or excessive elation. These are emotions too disturbing to many people.
Schizophrenia is an illness, just as diabetes is an illness. If indeed you are schizophrenic, it means mostly that you may be dependent on medication to help your liife work, just as the diabetic may be dependent on insulin to make his/her life work.
Please! see a mental health professional: psychologist, psychiatrist, or mental health counselor. They may be able to help you sort out your emotions and help you identify the issues that make you feel so badly. Your primary medical doctor may also be very helpful in identifying the underlying problem.
Thank you for reaching out for understanding - may you find it, and the resources to help you cope with or resolve your concerns.
 ga478 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:07 pm

i'am 20 years old I currently have no medical conditions or i'am not taking any meds right now.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:51 am

User avatar ga478:

I do think you probably have depression, with anxiety. I think that anxiety is pretty high on the list of possibilities. When I hear someone talking about looking things up on the Internet and getting scared of a diagnosis, like you did, I always consider anxiety as a potential illness. Also, you said something about "unwanted thoughts." This sounds a little like OCD.

At any rate, anxiety disorders like OCD, along with depression, can all be treated. There is no need to live with that kind of misery. Most family doctors can handle illnesses like these. If your family doctor is unable to help you, then you should see a psychiatrist. If you have no family doctor, I would suggest going to a psychiatrist first.

If you begin to feel like death is a viable option, or if you begin to have thoughts of killing yourself, please seek help immediately by calling 911 or walking into the nearest emergency room.

I care about you as well. Please get help and please be safe.

|