Question: ODD & ADHD

Gena79 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm

My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with ODD and ADHD. He has problems controling his temper and has been removed(Kicked Out) of 3 daycares in the last 4 months. His DR. put him on Straterra for his ADHD, and has recently uped his dosage. He is having problems losing weight. He is now 15 pounds underweight. I get him for weekend visitation, as his father has custody.

I could see all of his veins this last weekend and he used to be very muscular and healthy. His father refuses to take him off the medication, even though I personally see no change in his behavior. His father says its just because his new dosage has been raised and it hasnt kicked in yet.

Im very concerned about him and his health. What should I do?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:45 pm

User avatar Gena79:

If I were you, I would take him to see a doctor myself. There are doctors who have office hours on Saturday. If there are none around you, take him to an urgent care clinic or emergency room. All you have to say is that your son appears to be very ill and you'd like to have this looked at. They will ask you when this started, to which you would reply, "he looked like this when I picked him up this morning," which would be true from what you wrote.

Any medication that causes a great deal of weight loss (>10% of body weight) in a period of less than 6 months deserves attention and aggressive management.

Strattera can cause loss of appetite, but then the other medicines for his condition can also. If his behavior is unmanageable without medicines, then I would suggest that a different medicine be tried, or advocate for an additional medicine to help him regain his appetite.

There is also the possibility that there is something else wrong with your son's health. There are many physical illnesses that can present just like mental illnesses, but that are not discovered because the behavior is assumed to be due to mental illness.

Good luck to you and your son. Please come back and let us know how things go for you.
 emy - Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:16 am

I am a 26 yr old Asian female working as a teacher.

I have problems with memory and organising myself. At home for example, I have often forgotten to lock the front door once I get in (even gone to bed for a nap in the afternoon with the front door wide open after bringing in the groceries from my car), or left the refrigerator door wide open in the middle of cooking and gone to take a shower and many times forgotten that i had something on the stove, I may suddenly decide to start cooking dinner in the middle of doing the laundry just because I suddenly thought of something nice to cook and stuff like that. I get distracted very easily. It's the same at work. I procrastinate alot, and have difficulty getting tasks started/finished though sometimes, once i get started I can sit for hours. My friends complain that I can be quite fussy.. a perfectionist when it comes to work.. I like doing things myself so i can get them done just the way I like it even if it means long hours and a lot of complaining.. I'm a shy person but i like talking.. I talk alot when i get the chance.. Even though i'm so disorganised, I find that i like being organised. So it's agonising.

I don't recall much about preschool but I recall difficulty when i entered my first year in school. I often didnt finish copying homework that the teacher wrote out on the blackboard. I recall having difficulty learning to read and extreme forgetfulness. My parents scolded me alot because of this.

I guess I overcame a lot because I managed to make it through school and university ok. But now I almost feel like this matter is haunting me. Is it ADD? I often joke about this but lately I have been thinking about it more and more. I was definitely never hyperactive... but my menstrual cycle hasnt been regular. Blood tests showed a normal thyroid. I recall reading somewhere that girls normally don't have the hyperactivity part of the problem anyway... I seem have many symptoms (from ADD/ADHD websites) though I havent had too much difficulty at work and such. I have done various online tests and the result of every test I've done advised me to consult a physician. I don't know if there is any history of ADD/ADHD in my family. If there is, it's gone undiagnosed.

My question is, what if I do have ADD? Is it really necessary to get a diagnosis? What difference would it make? ie my forgetfulness and disorganisation.. Please help..
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:30 pm

User avatar Dear Emy:

Although I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, if you came to my office with this "laundry list" of symptoms and had a characteristic appearance (very difficult to explain), I would certainly include ADD on my list of differential diagnoses.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to see a physician. Your family doctor can help you or refer you to a psychiatrist.

Good luck!

|