News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Drug Interaction of Relacore with Bipolar medication?

montanamary57 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:33 pm

I visited with a friend today who on medication for manic depressive (bi-polar?) - her condition was, at one time, so severe that she underwent shock treatments. She was very excitable today and she kept trying to give me things from her home (clothes, knick knacks, etc.) She mentioned that she had recently lost some weight due to Weight Watchers and Relacore. I am worried about Relacore interacting with whatever kind of manic depression medication she might be on. Should I try to get ahold of her spouse and tell him that I am concerned? She is 52 years old.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar montanamary:

You are very right to be concerned! I would definitely contact her spouse and share your concerns. For our readers, I'd like to point out what you noticed that is so "telling" of a return of symptoms:

1) very excitable
2) trying to give things away
3) recent change, discontinuation, or addition of a medicine

Other signs could be:
1) very irritable
2) unexpected spending of large sums of money
3) increased risk-taking behavior
4) decreased need for sleep
5) increased goal-directed activity (often occurs in conjunction with #4)
5) possibly hallucinations (hearing and seeing things that/who are not present), delusions (fixed false beliefs)

Your friend is very fortunate to have someone who is so observant and willing to help![/list]

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here