Question: Perfectionist all my life

punkinpoop - Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:19 pm

1. 28
2. Male
3. Depression, ADD
4. No Surgery
5. Family History of Depression
6. Currently Takin 10mg of Adderal (5mg in morning, 5mg at 2pm)

7: Sense the 1st grade I can remember being a profectionist, I would re write notes and homework 10 times because I didnt like the way my writing looked on paper. "So far Ive re typed this question 4 times". As I got oler the problem got bigger. For some reason everything has to be perfect and new or Im not interested. Soon as clothes look dirty, forget washing, time for a new one. Cars older than a year or have a scratch are now worthles. Time for new ones. Ive owned 16 cars in my life. I would recarpet my house every 6 months if I had the money.. Relationships are the same way. I fall in love in 5 minutes because its new and fun, then to matter how pretty or nice I thought they were, I lose all interest and find another one. I treat my friends the same. Ill hang out with one constantly, then wont call them anymore when I find someone new to hang out with. The list goes on and on.. (Its now taken me an hour to get this far)

I've been taking adderal now for 3 weeks. I feel like im in another world sometimes, or just watching myself from a far. I just want to be content like most people. Why does everything have to constantly be new and perfect, why cant I just settle down and work through something. Its like my brain is a tv thats constantly switching channels. Only I have the remote to make it stop, but it doesnt have batteries in it....

Please Help me.

Punkin
I
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:27 pm

User avatar Dear Punkinpoop:

I must say that is an interesting handle to choose for yourself.

My first inclination is to wonder if you have a family history of anxiety disorders, such as OCD. The demand for perfection, not only of oneself but also of others and even things, reaches such legendary proportion almost only/always in OCD.

The treatment of OCD as well as Major Depression is SSRIs, such as fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine, etc. You are taking Adderall, and the adverse effects you are experiencing can certainly occur with Adderall. Usually those effects get better with time, but you have already been taking Adderall for 3 weeks, which should be more than sufficient for adaptation to occur.

I think the wisest thing for you to do is consult with your psychiatrist about these adverse effects--you may just need an adjustment in dose. I think you should also explore the possibility that you may have OCD.

|