Question: Depression and something else. My Doc wont help.

matingo - Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:03 am

Im a 26 year old male. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder many years ago but managed to get over it. The last few years I was starting to suffer from it again. Panic attack no longer have the feeling of a heart attack, more of my body becoming numb and feeling like it wants to shut down. As time has gone on, I have got worse. Looking at your posts, I am sure I am suffering from depression. But there are a few other things I cant find. My mouth is constantly dry, often I cant swallow and it freaks me out (i even yank the skin off my throat just to get a swallow), I have a twich in my left arm and leg and they often feel very uncomfortable or numb on the inside (if that makes sense). The arm has felt like someone is pulling it down too. The thing that scares me the most is I am always thinking of death and I am scared ALL OF THE TIME. The worst is my doctor saying that I seem a strong minded person and I will be fine. I have asked for benzodiazepines but all they will give is beta blockers. Im friegthend constantly and don't know what to do. ( I also have trouble breathing when I seem to think about it)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:46 pm

User avatar Please schedule an appointment with a mental health clinic - someone who specializes in disorder such as this would be the best one to evaluate your situation and advise you. Good luck!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat May 05, 2007 6:39 pm

User avatar Dear Matingo:

I agre with Debbie that you need to seek psychiatric help. Family practice physicians and internists are not always trained to recognize psychiatric disorders.

The dry mouth, muscle twitches, numbness, and feeling frightened all the time are symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder. As you have no doubt seen in other posts I've written, depression and anxiety are close cousins. Many people who come to the office complaining of anxiety actually have depression masquerading as its cousin anxiety, which is why this syndrome responds so well to antidepressants.

Benzodiazepines are a risky business, though. If you've ever had any kind of substance addiction problem, benzodiazepines are contraindicated. Although highly effective for pure anxiety, they will make depression worse. Nonetheless, if you have not had addiction problems before, you may be able to benefit from this class of medication, but ONLY if you take them for a very short period of time, and only as directed.

Get yourself in to see a psychiatrist, and do keep in touch. Best of luck to you.

|