Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Paxil CR use

jigsaw - Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 pm

I'm using Paxil CR@ 12.5 mg to treat a panic attack that left me with a bit of anexity. I feel that this was an isolated attack and I'm starting to feel better about the whole event. I have taken Paxil CR for a week now and would not like to take it for long at all. I won't stop unless my doctor says so but I was wondering if I maintain this dose for a few more weeks will I have withdrwal symptons when stopping. Also could the Paxil already be working because I read it can take two weeks. If thats so and I feel better everyday, is it a good idea to ask to maybe to not take them at all. Thank you. Also is it ok to have a beer or to while taking Paxil CR?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:57 pm

User avatar Hello jigsaw,
Paxil can take up to 4 weeks to start having an effect. Paxil. Withdrawal symptoms can be more likely to happen and may be more severe if one is taking a high dose and/or have been on it for a long duration of time; this is why it is generally recommended that the medication be tapered under the direct supervision of a physician.

I think you are correct to discuss discontinuation of Paxil with your physician since as you said you are improving too soon for it to be caused by the drug.

|