Question: am i depressed?

keriberi - Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi I am a 23 year old female. I have not seen a doctor to be diagnosed just wanted ones opinion befor I did. I am extreemly moody. The smalest thing can make me upset from being mad to sad. I have headaches constantly and feel tired a lot. my vision sometimes become blurred. I have a hard time falling a slep and sleep very heavy. I have very low self esteem and compare myself to most girls. Could this be depression? if not what else could it be?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:48 pm

User avatar It could definitely be depression, though symptoms can be the same for other disorders besides. You could benefit from a psychiatric evaluation, either by a mental health provider or a family doctor. There is a depression screening to help you decide if it is depression.

Ask yourself these two questions: Do you find little interest or pleasure in doing things? If so, how frequently? (Nearly every day, more than half the days, several days). Do you feel down, depressed or hopeless? (Same criteria for frequency) . If either of these questions apply to you, it is important for you to talk with your doctor about it for a more complete evaluation. This test (PHQ-2) is considered a very good tool for initial screening.

Your doctor will likely check your thyroid, iron and other labs that might also give clues about the problem. If he/she decides you have depression or another treatable condition, there are many good medications available. It usually takes a few weeks to notice a difference, so once you start the medication don't become discouraged if you don't get immediate relief. Also, it often takes time to get the right medication for you at the right dosage because each person responds to medication differently. So, be patient but you will likely get feeling better before long. If your doctor decides you need to take an antidepressant, be in touch with him/her about the kind of response you have. Some people also benefit from "talk therapy" - sometimes a combination of therapy and medications is the best treatment.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

|