Question: Imitating characters in movies and novels, identitiy problem

PrivateSmythe - Tue May 01, 2007 10:00 am

Over the last year, I have changed a lot. I have recently found the need to ask someone qualified and intelligent about what is going on with me - so here goes.

I think I might be depressed - I normally feel a general sort of "sadness" and emotional discomfort. Especially at night, before going to bed. This is even on good days. It is a sort of "boiling" feeling in the pit of my stomach and it is pretty bad.

This is the part that will probably sound stupid. I don't really know who I am. Sometimes I see a movie or read a book and I want my personality to be like that of a character that I liked. For example: After seeing Casino Royale, I wanted to act quiet and intense like the Bond Character. After seeing The Departed, I wanted to act angry and violent like the character from the departed (I was never violent I just don't really know what is going on with me.

I am a 17 year old male if that helps.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat May 05, 2007 6:57 pm

User avatar Dear Private Smythe:

It is not really unusual for young people to experience an identity crisis. It is part of the process of becoming an independent adult. Some people know early on "who" they will be in life, others don't know until sometime in their twenties.

The "cure" for an identity crisis is to get out and experience as many things as possible, within limits. Try to stay away from things that would be contrary to your moral and /or spiritual beliefs. You might try volunteering at a hospital, becoming a youth leader at your church, a tutor for other students, or? The possibilities are endless!

My guess would be that your symptoms are due to a sense of general dissatisfaction because you don't know "who" you are, yet. If your symptoms begin to grow more intense, though, and you find yourself feeling hopeless, worthless, uninterested in your everyday activities, etc., then you may indeed be suffering rom depression.

A counselor would be of great help to you. Your local commuity mental health clinic will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you.

|