Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Wellbutrin + Depakote for Bipolar II...a few questions

jandot - Wed May 30, 2007 8:12 pm

I have been on depakote for three and a half months. After two months of being on it, my doctor started me on Prozac. After being on the Prozac for a month, I felt completely lifeless, and I had no energy. After telling my doctor this, he took me off Prozac, and then decided to start me on wellbutrin after a two week wait. So, ive begun taking the wellbutrin just recently and I have a few questions...

My doctor told me to take 75 mg's a day, but everywhere I look on the internet says that 300-400 mg's a day is required for Depression, and there never seems to be any mention of it being a gradual process to get to that level. Does the fact that I'm mixing this with depakote mean that I should be taking less? Isnt taking 75 mg of something that usually starts out at 300 mg kind of pointless?

Thanks,
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:39 pm

User avatar Dear JanDot:

There are no known drug-drug interactions between Depakote and Wellbutrin. However, there is a potentially very serious drug-disease interaction between Wellbutrin and Bipolar Disorder. It is generally felt to be safe for people with this illness to take Wellbutrin, but in lower doses than a patient with another disorder would typically require.

Good luck to you!

|