Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Sarafem shifting to Lexapro

caterinawit - Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:03 am

I have been using Sarafem for about three months now, for mood problems related to PMDD and menapause. It helped at first, and doesnt anymore, so I stopped taking it. I became nauseous, dizzy, weak, and just felt terrible. I went to my doctor, and it was only then that she told me NOT to stop it that abruptly because of withdrawal. SO, now I am back on it for a week, and after that I will be starting Lexapro to see if one, it works better, and two, it is supposed to have minimal sexual side effects. Is anyone familiar with Lexapro? Does it work? Does it decrease sexual desire?
thanks~!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:33 pm

User avatar Hi caterinawit,
Unfortunately most antidepressants (especially SSRIs) cause sexual dysfunction to some degree or other. Some people tolerate one type better than another. The switch here is justified since you became intolerant to Sarafem.

Please check our lexapro page for more info on the way it works and its possible side effects.

Regards,

|