Question: dissociative episode wont relieve

tiredmom82 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:29 pm

im a 25 year old female with borderline personality disorder, ptsd and anxiety disorder i have been this way since i was a teenager from a rape assault that was not dealt with. i have been recently dealing with a lot of stress and then while grocery shopping i seen my attacker in the store where he then followed me around. i believe that i am having a mental break down i have been dissociating and not sleeping because seeing him was so tramatic. i saw him and resorted to screeming and crying i am unable to mentally get myself away from him. I basically don't know what to do. I understand why i am like this and usually i can get myself out of this feeling by time and trying to some how relax myself i am unable to do this. I am in a dream and i cant wake up. What should i do i can get an appointment until 2 weeks from now?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:10 am

User avatar Dear tiredmom82:

When you say that the assault wasn't dealt with, do you mean in a legal sense, or in the purely emotional sense?

I ask because for him to follow you around anywhere is purely criminal. If the original crime was reported to authorities, I would think that it would be easy to at least start some "legal gears" turning. Even so, that won't necessarily help your emotional state.

Advising you on how to deal with this on the internet is extremely difficult, but I'll share some of the coping skills that I know have worked for some of my patients.

First, be very kind to yourself right now. If possible, take some time off work, get help with your household responsibilities, including children.

As much as possible, don't isolate yourself from close friends and supportive family members. Don't worry about what they might think--those who love you and know you best are likely to be very understanding.

Next, sleep is extremely important. You will be far more likely to be able to deal with this if you can sleep. I suggest warm milk. If you are not feeling suicidal or like harming yourself in any way, maybe you could try some of the over-the-counter remedies, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl). If necessary, someone you trust could be the keeper of the medicine to be sure that you won't end up misusing it. Also, now would be a very good time to get someone to lock up all medicines in the house as well as any lethal weapons.

Next, if there is someone who could stay with you, or with whom you could stay, I would strongly recommend it.

Finally, if there is any chance that you will harm yourself or anyone else, including the attacker, you must get yourself to safety immediately, by calling 9-1-1 or having someone take you to the emergency room.

Please keep in touch; we are here for you to not only ask questions of, but also to act as a sounding board. We care deeply about people such as yourself who have been traumatized.

|