Question: Not sure what this is, but it's time to find out....

matyoka - Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:09 pm

Hello all, new to this forum. I am a 38 year old male with no history of any kind of sickness or disease. I have never been on any medication. No family history, father was an alcoholic... I was born with congenital birth defects, it was hard growing up but all that is in the past. Approximately 8 years ago I was in a bad long distance relationship, we have seen each other maybe once a week. Towards the end it got ugly, lots of yelling, crying and constant watching over me. I started having these funny feelings in my scalp, felt like I was underneath a charged electric field and my hair was standing up. It is an indescribable feeling and every time it came over me I ran my fingers through my hair and it would stop for a short period of time. After a while I started wearing baseball hats, they alleviated the problem every time I wore them. I got out of the relationship, got married, had a daughter but the feeling never stopped. I spoke to a doctor some years ago who recommended that I stop using hair gel. He didn't really take my complaints seriously and I did what he recommended... but no use. The feeling of that static in my hair was there even after I gave up the gel for over a year. The symptoms became a part of my life, and moreover they started affecting(sometimes) my vision(little blur now and then) and hearing. At times I would pump my ears or open my mouth wide so I can hear that pop, but it never happened. During my work I place a pair of shades on my head or forehead or even use a non prescription clear fashion glasses on my face to make the feeling go away. Lately I have been getting small pimple outbreaks on my forehead because I wipe it with my hand unconsciously. I have been living with this for a long time and today I decided that I will do something about it. I don't know who to see or what to do, but any advise will be welcomed. Thank you for your precious time.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 am

User avatar Dear Matyoka:

What seems the most likely to me is anxiety. Do you ever get a sense of impending doom along with the scalp tingle? You also mentioned a blurring of your vision and problems with your hearing. I wonder if you could be having panic attacks.

I have a couple of questions that will help us (you and I) figure out what's happening:

1) How long do the episodes last?

2) Try to recall any and all physical symptoms that happen at the time of the tingling in your scalp

3) Is there any pattern, for example, do they happen only in the morning, only at work, or can it occur anytime, anywhere?

I'll be watching for your reply so we can try to pin this down a little better.
 matyoka - Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 am

Dr Eisele,

First of all thank you for answering. With regards to your questions, I have to say that I have never had any thoughts of harming myself or sense of impending doom. I looked into the symptoms of anxiety and I thought that they come and go without lasting for a long time. If I get angry for some reason(doesn't really happen to often) my face flushes real fast, and my stomach is in my throath, heavy breathing... but I guess this is natural. The vision and hearing problems do occur maybe once a month. The feeling starts after I wake up and stays with me for the rest of the day. As I mentioned, I have it under control with a pair of shades or a hat(any touch to the head or face area makes it go away), but I realised that I gave in to this instead of fighting it. Usually when I am off work and return to my home, the first thing is to find my baseball hat... You also asked about the pattern. Nowadays I have it all the time versus many years ago when it fluctuated. I hope my answers are helpfull and I will be looking forward to yor response.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Dear Matyoka:

You know, I'm thinking that you should go see a neurologist. Anxiety is something that tends to be intermittent, and there are some types of anxiety disorders in which the symptom (tingling) can be stopped by a physical action such as touching the face or scalp, in your case.

However, there are potential neurological disorders, which seems unlikely since the symptoms began with that troubled relationship several years ago. On the other hand, the two events could be simply correlated, rather than cause-and-effect.

Neurologists can do nerve conduction studies to detect abnormalities in sensory and motor function. I'm thinking that this might be useful.
 matyoka - Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 am

I'd like to take this opportunity and thank you for the time taken to answer my question. I will get in touch with a neuorologist and see if my problem can be solved. Once again thank you and wish you the best.

|