Question: do i have an eating disorder

yellowappletues - Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 pm

im newly 18 5'7 female 112pounds BMI 17.5 the highest weight i reached was 118 and i felt so discuisded i looked into the mirror and literally cried. i don't think my diet is too extreeme i eat 200 calories in the morning then run 3 miles on the eliptical making sure i burn atleast 350 calories then i eat 800-865 calories at 4:pm and thats my whole intake for the day my lowest weight was 104 i loved it there i wouldnt be able to stand it if i were fat i hate my 26 inch waist i wish it were at least 23.5 inches instead of 26 and i really hate my thighes theyr real big in my openion the only thing i do like is my right wrist because i can fist because i can wrap my fingers around it age 11 id only eat 1 meal a day which was dinner i wouldnt eat breakfast at home or lunch in school the school counselors caught on and thought i had an eating disorder in highschool id do the same as i did when i was 11 and skip breakfast and lunch and only eat diner, i did go through a short summer of depression where i wouldnt leave my room when i was 15

do i have an eating disorder or is it something else. im not very depressed i just don't want to be fat.
also my mom was very thin as a child thinner then i was she was bone thin 6 ft tall but bow shes overweight i love her but i don't want to end up like her! i cant be fat i cant be!!

also i just binged today over 5,000 calories including a 12 pack of mini icecream sandwiches 90 calories each ... i feel i have no self control anymore
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:57 pm

User avatar Dear YellowAppleTues:

Yes, you do have an eating disorder. It is bulimia nervosa, bingeing and purging type. It sounds as if you have a distorted body image--at your BMI of 17.5, it probably isn't possible that your thighs are "real big."

Bulimia is a very dangerous disease. If you force yourself to vomit, sooner or later, your esophagus will become weakened, and it will rupture under the stress. At that point, you will bleed to death.

Do I sound harsh? I certainly hope so. Bulimia is a very harsh disease. Barbie doll measurements are unrealistic. If a real woman had the same proportionate dimensions as "Barbie," she wouldn't be able to walk!! It is true that supermodels are superskinny, but when was the last time you saw a supermodel over the age of, say, 25? There's a reason for that, you know. They either die, burn out on drugs to keep themselves thin, or they get fat. Psychologically speaking, having bulimia or anorexia leads one to a life of obesity. This is because you will burn out eventually, and either die or simply not be able to keep up with that lifestyle, and then your super slow metabolism won't be able to keep up, and you will get fat.

The only way to avoid this is to learn how to live healthy. Treat your metabolism right and it will take care of you.

|