Question: psychosis and schizophrenia

jess88 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:22 am

hey,

i have two questions, one relating to me and one to my mum.

my mum had a mental breakdown at the beginning of this year, in feb. she knew what was happening at least a couple days before hand, but on the day i was the only one home and she came and asked me to take her to hospital. my dad wasn't letting me take her to hospital, but she was begging me to take her somewhere that would help her.my boyfriends brother is an ambulance officer, and was at the station at the time so i took her to him and he said to take her to hospital. i got halfway there and dad told me i wasnt allowed to go so i had to go home. when dad got home i asked him to take her and he wouldnt, so i left as i had other plans. he rang me not long after and said they were on their way to the hospital. overall i was pretty stressed out and upset, and the 5 weeks in hospital were very hard too.

during her 5 weeks in hospital, she was diagnosed with psychosis. its now july, and since shes left hospital, the doctors have now changing her medication, and now her doctor thinks that she has schizophrenia. i tried to ask her if that is instead of psychosis, but all she said was that it is under all her other problems. can someone have both psychosis and schizophrenia, or does one cause the other?

the question about me is since this has happened, i have become overly emotional, i get upset easily at the stupidest things that don't matter, and i also am very anxious. by this i mean that once i get a negative thought in my head, i stress out about it and no matter how hard i try i cannot stop thinking about it. could this maybe be due to the stress of the day mum had her breakdown? i'm not depressed, i do feel down sometimes when i get in these anxious moods, but it doesnt seem like depression cos the rest of the time i'm a pretty happy person.

i have also heard schizophrenia can be hereditary...is this true? and what are the chances of this?

sorry about the length of this letter, thanks for reading it =)
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:33 pm

User avatar Dear Jess:

Psychosis is a general term for hallucinations and/or delusions. Schizophrenia is a more specific term for individuals who have a certain type of psychosis.

To change your mother's diagnosis from psychosis to schizophrenia is simply a refinement of her diagnosis. And, you could say that the cause of her psychosis is schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is a disorder that can be inherited. The chances of a child of one parent with schizophrenia is 10 times more than a child whose parents do not have schizophrenia. The incidence of schizophrenia in the general population, though is very, very small--1 to 2% of the US population is affected by schizophrenia.

Your current problem could certainly be a stress reaction to your mother's breakdown and the frustration you must have felt over wanting to help your mother, but at the same time knowing your dad was against her going to the hospital.

If at all possible, you would very likely benefit from some counseling.

|