News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Sarafem or zoloft better for PMDD

lilyluv8 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:07 pm

My primary care doctor recently suggested that I start taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for my depression related to menstrual cycle. But I am a little bit hesitant to start taking it because of the list of side effects. In your experience with patients, does Sarafem tend to work better than Zoloft to relieve symptoms of depression related to PMDD? Also, how is Sarafem different than regular Prozac? Is it a lower dose of Prozac? I know that they are both SSRI's, but do any of them work better (with less side effects) for treating PMDD?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:35 pm

User avatar Sarafem and Prozac are the same (fluoxetine) and dosages vary depending on your needs, usually between 10 mg and 80 mg. daily. It is approved under the name Sarafem for treatment of premenstrual depressive disorder (PMDD). Zoloft is in the same class of drugs and can also be effective for depression, PMDD and other conditions.

I would not say one was better than another. But, some people respond best to one or the other and the trick is to get the right one for you. Everyone is individual and it can take a while to regulate the meds to be most effective so patience is in order when working on this.

All medications have possible side effects and most people take these SSRIs without problems. Often the side effects are temporary and resolve on their own within a couple of weeks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here