Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Sarafem or zoloft better for PMDD

lilyluv8 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:07 pm

My primary care doctor recently suggested that I start taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for my depression related to menstrual cycle. But I am a little bit hesitant to start taking it because of the list of side effects. In your experience with patients, does Sarafem tend to work better than Zoloft to relieve symptoms of depression related to PMDD? Also, how is Sarafem different than regular Prozac? Is it a lower dose of Prozac? I know that they are both SSRI's, but do any of them work better (with less side effects) for treating PMDD?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:35 pm

User avatar Sarafem and Prozac are the same (fluoxetine) and dosages vary depending on your needs, usually between 10 mg and 80 mg. daily. It is approved under the name Sarafem for treatment of premenstrual depressive disorder (PMDD). Zoloft is in the same class of drugs and can also be effective for depression, PMDD and other conditions.

I would not say one was better than another. But, some people respond best to one or the other and the trick is to get the right one for you. Everyone is individual and it can take a while to regulate the meds to be most effective so patience is in order when working on this.

All medications have possible side effects and most people take these SSRIs without problems. Often the side effects are temporary and resolve on their own within a couple of weeks.

|