Question: Sarafem or Zoloft better for PMDD

lilyluv8 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 pm

My primary care doctor recently suggested that I start taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for my depression related to menstrual cycle. But I am a little bit hesitant to start taking it because of the list of side effects. In your experience with patients, does Sarafem tend to work better than Zoloft to relieve symptoms of depression related to PMDD? Also, how is Sarafem different than regular Prozac? Is it a lower dose of Prozac? I know that they are both SSRI's, but do any of them work better (with less side effects) for treating PMDD?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:49 pm

User avatar Different people respond differently to the various SSRIs. What works best for one person may not for the next so only you will be able to determine which is best for you. Sometimes it takes a few months of trying different medications to get the right combination of med and dosage regulation.

You should be fine with one of these and there are potential side effects for all of them. Again, people vary in their responses, both good and bad.

|