Question: St John's Wort and Valerian information

missykat8 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:12 pm

I am a 25 yr old female and i have mild anxiety. I want to know what vitamins and the dosages to take. Ive done research and have heard about St John Wort and Valerian but I want more information. I am on no medication but I do have trouble sleeping through the night I will go to sleep and wake up every 4 hours but I do go back to sleep. Also I do get headaches alot but I don't know if its from not sleeping good or poor nutrition
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:39 pm

User avatar Dear Missykat:

I'm afraid that I really cannot advise you without first telling you that there are no herbal or otherwise homeopathic remedies that I believe truly work. The problem with herbal remedies in particular is that they are not regulated as to how much of the active ingredient is in each capsule or pill. In other words, the pills could have on average 300 mg of whatever it is, meaning that one could 0 mg in it, while another could have 600 mg in it. Also, the safety of the herbal/homeopathic remedies has not been established.

Now, onto the answers!!

Adverse effects of St. John's Wort and Valerian:

http://www.mayoclinic.com

Simply type in the name in the search bar and it will pop up an info page on each.

St. John's wort in the form hypericin 0.3% standardized extract, the form commonly found in drugstores/WalMart: 300 mg three times daily OR 1200 mg daily

Valerian: this one comes in so many different forms, so I would say that you should follow the directions on the package.

Now, the next thing you need to know is that use of both at the same time can produce sedation--more so than with just one of the above herbal remedies. This is a drug interaction.

If you take other medications, definitely see the prescribing physician before starting this or any other herbal remedy/medication.

|