Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Can't Figure Out How To Stop This Depression

SadEmptyWoman1986 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:59 pm

Hello, I am a 21 year old female who has suffered with some form of depression since the age of 15/16. I have only recently (in the past year and a half) approached my doctor. I feel sad and hopeless and I cry a lot for no reason. I feel suicidal sometimes, and I hate being awake, I would rather be asleep and forget I am alive. My doctor prescribed Effexor. I took it for 1 year and it helped a little, but my depression came back after about 4-5 months. I don't understand why it stopped working. I was advised to increase the dose, which has not seemed to be effective, its just made me feel sick all the time. I have tried 'natural' methods such as st. Johns Wart and 5HTP and vitamin B12 - none of which seem to work either. Why am I so depressed, why won't anything help me? There is no family history so my family does not seem to understand what I am going through. Help please. I don't want to die or end up in some crazy mental hospital. I just want to feel normal.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:26 pm

User avatar Dear SadWoman:

First of all, if you are not seeing a psychiatrist, then you should. Family practice doctors are great for many many illnesses, but when a patient does not respond to a first-line therapy such as an antidepressant, then the problem is much more complicated.

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is just one antidepressant. It is very effective for many people, but there are folks who get no benefit from it. SSRIs (fluoxetine = Prozac, sertraline = Zoloft, paroxetine = Paxil, citalopram = Celexa, escitalopram = Lexapro) are another type of antidepressant, as are buproprion (Wellbutrin) and duloxetine (Cymbalta). There are even more antidepressants, but those listed are the most modern and are effective.

Sometimes patients need more than one antidepressant. Sometimes other medications are added to a single antidepressant (such as thyroid hormone, lithium, lamotrigine, etc.) for maximum effect. And, many times talk therapy is added to medications.

Depression is a very serious illness that many people die from. Luckily it is very treatable by psychiatrists.

Good luck to you. Please stop back in and let us know how things work out for you.

|