News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Strange and disturbing physical reaction to a horrible...

LiLi00 - Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 am

scenario.

I am an 18-year-old female with no prior history of psychiatric problems. However, I experienced something a few days ago that has deeply disturbed me and caused me to go into a depression ever since.

I should preface this by saying that I have no sexual feelings toward children. None. The other day, though, there was a film on where this young girl was being sexually assaulted, and there was a definite response of my sexual organs. This is where it becomes difficult to talk about, because I know it sounds like I'm some weirdo. Children being hurt is awful. In no way do I find anything remotely pleasing about it... but what explains this feeling? I've never been attracted to children or anything of the sort.

I know there has to be some explanation because I am not a pedophile. Even still, I feel awful because I can't explain this.

Can anyone help?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:53 pm

User avatar Dear LiLi:

There are many reasons why you experienced sexual arousal why watching the film. It could be that you have had a sexual experience and that somehow what you watched reminded you of it.

It could be something more serious, such as a memory of sexual abuse you may have experienced in the past by someone you were close to. I'm not saying that because of this experience that must be the case. It's just one possibility. If you know 100% that you have not been sexually abused, then naturally, this is not the cause.

The feelings you are experiencing are not necessarily a harbinger of anything at all. It is not unusual to experience sexual excitement in response to having seen, read, or heard about a sexual act. It's not necessarily that this was a child that "turned you on," but that simply a sexual act was occurring.

If this continues to bother you, then it would be worth seeing a therapist or counselor.
 LiLi00 - Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank you so much. I just needed reassurance that this didn't make me some kind of psycho.

I greatly appreciate your time.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here