News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Sister has several behavioural problems - very volatile

prplestarlette - Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:31 am

I am writing about my baby sister and I'm worried and really don't know how to convince my mom to help her get help (its more like my mom is supporting her continued unstable mental health instead of getting help).

She is 21 years old, female. No psychiatric diagnoses. Past surgeries are just surgery for a broken ankle a few years ago. Family history of mental illness - mother suffers from seasonal affective disorder, father suffers from depression, two sisters with drug addiction problems, and I myself suffer from major depressive disorder, PTSD, and generalized anxiety disorder. As far as I know, she isn't on any medications.

Here is the history that I do know of over conversations with my mother and my own personal experience with her. Since her teenage years, she has been very volatile, constantly looking over everyone else, pointing out their mistakes while she maintains an attitude that she is perfect. She has an unstable history of interpersonal relationships with family, friends, and significant others. Her job performance suffers if things don't go her way at all. Past trauma would include being sexually molested by our older brother when she was just a toddler. What tipped me off that this was more than just normal mood swings is she has recently began accusing others in the family of sexually assaulted her without releasing any details or when it happened, even when everyone knows the memories are false as the people were not even around during the possible timeline she is proposing it happening. I love my sister very much and I currently attend college for psychology and her behaviors are raising red flags. Any ideas on what it might be so I can research for my mom and help her understand that my sister might very well need psychiatric help?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:00 pm

User avatar Dear Prplestarlette:

Is it possible that your sister has been undergoing hypnosis with a therapist? That would explain the false memories. I think maybe what you are seeing is the "fallout" from the sexual abuse. Sexual abuse is so emotionally damaging that the victims sometime suffer their entire lives.

At a minimum, your sister needs competent psychological help. Hypnosis is not recognized as a useful therapy by the American Psychiatric Association.

Good luck--please keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here