Question: Memory Loss

jeezmeneti66 - Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:02 pm

I am a 41 year old female with a terrible memory. I can't remember anything from one hour to the next. Literally. I know I am depressed because I have been for years I just don't know if all my problems are because of that or something else. I believe I suffer from anxiety although I have never been to a doctor for that but I worry about everything. I hate driving because I am scared to death that I will be involved in an accident. I can't stand the thought of my older children driving and am constantly telling them the dangers of driving. Everything that I do I think about the danger in doing it. I can't remember where I am going when I have a load of dirty clothes in my hand which should be obvious that I'm going to the laundry room. I forget to pay bills that I have been paying for years. Can't remember where I put things when they are in the most obvious spot. It takes me a second or two to remember my name or the names of my children. My equilibrium is way off and I have to place my elbow on the wall of the shower so I don't fall over. I spin in the bed when it's time to go to sleep so much so that it feels like the walls are way far off when I could reach out and touch one if I wanted to. I have to stop and think about almost everything that I do because I forget what I was doing from one minute to the next. My ears constantly ring or have a very mute sound in them which bothers me a great deal. My moods are constantly changing from one hour to the next. I go from being very happy to being extremely mad or irritated or even lonely and sad. I also have irritable bowel syndrome (undiagnosed and untrated) and for anyone suffering from this you know what I am talking about.
I have two sisters being treated for bipolar disease and two brothers who probably should be or treated for depression at the least. Both sisters are recovering alcoholics and one brother is in denial. My father was an alcoholic but died with cancer 10 years ago. He had quit drinking for years before his death. I drink occasionaly with my husband who is an alcoholic but do not have a problem living without the alcohol.
I was raped when I was seventeen and became pregnant as a result. I put the baby up for adoption and sometimes I do wonder if this has affected the life that I have now. I have so many other issues but unfortunately I can't remember them all right now. Mostly what I want to know is if all these symptoms are linked together somehow or am I dealing with several different things at once.
I take no medication prescription ot otherwise and have only had two surgeries. One to ahve my tubes tied and the other was a hysterectomy.
Please tell me what to do or where to go for help. I don't want to take antidepressents or any other meds because I could never remember to take them.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:20 pm

User avatar Dear jeezmeneti66:

This is certainly a very complex collection of symptoms. It sounds like you a need to be checked out medically before anything else is done.

For example, you report "spinning in the bed," leaning against the shower to avoid falling, and finally, that your ears "constantly ring," which could be signs of other types of illnesses. A few that come to mind immediately are:

1) Benign positional vertigo
2) Hypothyroidism/Hyperthyroidism
3) Meniere's disease

I think you really need to see a neurologist eventually, but many insurance companies require a referral to a specialist from your primary doctor.

Good luck!

|