Question: Is she schizoid or something else?

jasonV - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Dear Doctor,
I have a sister who is diagnosed with a Schizophrenia but her actions speak otherwise. When we were just in grade schools my father and mother would always tell her that she is clumsy whenever she breaks something ( which she truly is in a natural way or an in born clumsiness). Although she was some kind of an introvert since childhood, she is capable socially in any gathering that comes in her way. There is sometime wherein the two of us are both enemies as she is always fund of teasing me since I was a kid which lead to a royal rumble rampage in our family.
She had no boyfriend and no experience ( she's very innocent) in any mutual relationship until a certain time. During her tenure as a bank cashier ,she was madly in love with a Muslim person who is married. The relationship was short lived because my father would not allow it to happen and thereby threaten to shoot the it his handgun if he doesn't leave my sister alone. After these she went on to depression state and started hating my father.
After I married my wife and started to live under one roof my sister first insulted my mother in law then after that she shifted her focus on my wife. She then started sending text messages that my wife is a whore and lots and lots of cuss words... She became paranoid that she even included my brother in law in the mix ,sending text messages that my wife and my bro in law are having an affair which is untrue. She is good in making stories that do not exist. After almost a year that we grown tired and weary by our patience to her we seek the aid of police officers to come to our house and ask my sister if the number of recent text messages are hers (which I didn't tell that all text messages we receive came from one cel. no. with no ID. we just assume it that it was her because the text message reflect the actions and situation happened inside our home and to add to that , only the 3 of us are present during that time.) She didn't spoke a word when I confronted her about the text messages she just stand in there and listen to my yelling voices. The police officers even had a negative reply when they invited her to the station. She immediately informed my mother who is working abroad that she was invited by the police but she didn't inform my mother about the messages until I was called upon. I noticed before these , that whenever my wife has a new things my sister always buy and shop just as the same things for my wife. Right now we are in deaf situation , we just pretend that she wasn't there and we are not in one house to not further escalate the tense situtation. But I grow tired of this bruhaha and don't want my wife to suffer some kind of depression because my parents are all blaming us that we are the ones who started it all and that they say is she is a schizo and should ne understand. Is this fair to us to be like in these situation where we think she is just behaving like paranoid but seems more normal and just jealous to my wife although she is depressed? By the way, she is sociable and always jogs every afternoon in the park. I just don't think that she is in a psychiatric mood because in her case she only implicates my wife and my mother in law (who already left a couple of years ago). She doesn't talk to us anymore only to my bro in law and other people.
Pls. Doctor give me some enlightenment about these..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:29 pm

User avatar I think it would be good if your sister could get a new and complete psychiatric evaluation. It is possible she was diagnosed correctly, but as time goes on and we learn more about mental illness, we realize how often people are misdiagnosed. For this reason, a new workup would be in order. It would also be helpful if those of you who encounter her in different settings could give input to her doctor. It is possible to write letters to inform the doctor even if they cannot discuss the case with you due to privacy concerns. In other words, they can receive, but not give, information.

This is obviously a very big problem for you. Good luck with it.

|