Question: getting tensed up unwantedly.

reachb4 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm

My problem is that sometimes i will get tensed up unwantedly for small problems. I believe this happens when i think about the worst outcome of some event.eg:- I will get tensed up while driving by thinking ' what will happen if i met with some accident or how will other people respond to this accident. I get so nervous that it feels like something heavy is placed on my head.

I also think I have ADD.

Doctors, Please advice on this issue.

Regards,
John.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 am

User avatar Dear ReachB4:

I have a few questions for you:

1) do you experience marked physical symptoms of your anxiety--i.e., the kind of feeling that makes you wonder if you are having a heart attack?

2) are these attacks unpredictable?

3) how often do you experience these attacks?
 reachb4 - Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Dear ReachB4:

I have a few questions for you:

1) do you experience marked physical symptoms of your anxiety--I. e., the kind of feeling that makes you wonder if you are having a heart attack?

<<
Well, no i don't have a physical symptom of heart attack. All I have is some kind of heavy mental distress.

>>

2) are these attacks unpredictable?
<<
These attacks usually comes after i think about some task seriously, i will think the good side of that at the same time when i think about the bad side( even it is negligible) the mental distress kicks in. It may prevail for the whole day. Due to this I lack confidence even in simple day-to-day tasks. eg:- driving, talking with a girl, etc.
>>

<<
Nowadays its occuring frequently.
>>

I was having 1 small stone in kidney(6mm) and
1 in bladder (5mm). It looks cleared now by taking the following herbal medicine for almost 1 month.
Cystone- (http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/cystone.htm)
I am also considering to take the following medicine as they claim it will reduce the mental distress.
Geriforte - (http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/produ ... iforte.htm)

I am 22 yrs old male working as a software engineer.

Thanks for ur attention.
 reachb4 - Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:34 pm

I forgot to mention... I am still taking cystone...but this mental distress problem was there even before cystone days.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:17 pm

User avatar Dear ReachB4:

Your symptoms do sound a great deal like panic disorder. As for ADD, it is nearly impossible to diagnose a second condition when there are many symptoms of a different disorder also present. My advice is to treat the Panic Disorder first, then work on the other symptoms.

Treatment for Panic Disorder includes an antidepressant called an SSRI (Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor), with short-term benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin). The SSRIs take 4 - 6 weeks to work, and may cause the anxiety to worsen initially. That's where the benzodiazepine comes in. It is used to treat the symptoms until the SSRI has time to be effective, and then is gradually stopped.

For optimal treatment, see a psychiatrist.

|