News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Panicked, tired but unsure if it's worth bringing up.

dan86 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. I'm 21, male and I have suffered from depression.

I'm currently feeling very out of sorts. I'm depressed most of the time, having crying fits for no apparent reason several times a week and sometimes for several hours. I seem to feel tired most of the time, feeling exhausted even after good amounts of sleep and though my doctor got a blood test, he could see nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, the opposite also seems true. I feel very energised and cheerful then I seem to crash for several days. I have had suicidal thoughts and have had for some time, though I don't believe I would ever go through with it, mostly because I have a low pain stamina.

I'm also excessively jumpy. I think I see things out of the corner of my eye or feel unable to break out of the dream state very quickly and with the amount of nightmares I have, it's grating on my nerves because when I do get any rest, this will often interfere with it because it makes my heart rate speed up and I feel panicked. This often causes panic attacks and the nausea is making me feel as if I'm not hungry so I feel like I can't eat.

I seem to "zone out" a lot, sometimes I feel like I'm losing anything from ten minutes to hours at a time then I don't understand where my minds been. It's not as if I'm hopping from one thing to another because it can't keep my attention, sometimes it will happen when I'm walking, I'll be one place and then when I think to look around, I'm somewhere completely different and I can't remember walking there. I'm a little afraid one of these days, I'm going to end up walking into traffic or something equally dangerous because my mind has gone elsewhere. Then sometimes it's like I jump, like I've been startled, and it feels back to normal.

I seem to anticipate/see things that aren't happening. I feel people bump into me when they haven't, see lights flicker when they don't, see things move across the floor when I close my eyes and open them, nothing is there. It's starting to frighten me a little but I have no idea how to broach the subject.

I'm currently on fluoxetine for the panic attacks. There is some history of mental problems in my family, particularly those including suicidal behaviours and addiction. I've moved doctors since last being on an antidepressant and I'm unsure if this is worth bringing up, although it is interfering with my life, due to this feeling of time moving quickly or losing it, my appetite and being able to feel rested. I'm just feeling a little unsure of how to bring it up too.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
I think it is definitely worth bringing up your symptoms. You need to be in touch with your psychiatrist and let him/he know exactly what you describe here in detail. It is important that your doctor has all the details in order to find the right answers and medications for you. Mental disorders are complicated and you can have more than one condition coexisting, making treatment even more complicated. But good treatments are available so don't settle for this kind of unhappiness in your life.

I know it is difficult to change doctors and to have to explain things all over again, but this is what you must do. Psychotherapy can also help you so you may wish to look for a good therapist you can relate to.

If you feel inclined to harm yourself in any way, call the emergency number for your area and get the help you need. There is much that can be done to improve your quality of life so don't give up.

Best wishes for your total health.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here